Shimano Dura-Ace stem

beagle

Senior Retro Guru
Hi,

I recently picked up a Dura-Ace stem. It's the same as this:

dscn5746a.jpg

^ That's actually an Ultegra stem but the one I have is identical.

Unfortunately the expander wedge/bolt is missing and appears to be proprietary.

dscn5892a.jpg

I thought about getting a bolt and drilling out a wedge as it is slightly wider than a standard expander bolt. Thing is, I can't find a bolt that fits. Just wondered if anyone had any info or ideas, short of getting another Shimano stem I don't know what to do with it.

I thought the 600 had the wedge expander and the Dura Ace had the plug ( it looks like it in the instruction pamphlet too ). I have a 600 from June 87 ( date code KF ) that has the wedge and a Dura Ace from Aug 1986 ( JH ) that has the plug ( see below ). What date code is on your stem ?

The expander bolt on the Dura Ace has a left hand thread on both ends.

Dura_Ace_Stem_JH.jpg

Maybe it's a 600 stem then. I'm pretty sure it says Dura-Ace on it but I don't have it in front of me. It definitely needs a wedge and not a plug.

But if it is a left hand thread that would explain why I can't find a bolt that fits so thanks for the info. I'll have to have a good look at it.

Edit: Just had a look and you're right, it is a 600. It's an older one that's engraved 600 AX. It doesn't look reverse threaded but I'm not 100%.

Probably of no use at all, but here are some detailed pics -http://www.flickr.com/photos/stronglight/sets/72157604999952452/

These stems are superbly engineered, many consider them the finest quill stem ever..

I thought only the Ultegra version used a standard wedge, with the Dura Ace using an expander 'cone'? The 'wedge' would be much easier to improvise than the 'cone' but sourcing that bolt is gonna be tricky. To be honest I don't think there's much chance of bodging the bolt yourself as it's such a fiddly little thing with two different diameter threaded ends and that allen key fitting (see pic).. Unless you can come up with something much simpler...

Edit -sorry hadn't seen above reply.. link isn't working either. :roll:

ferrus":3e13qhp1 said:
Probably of no use at all, but here are some detailed pics -http://www.flickr.com/photos/stronglight/sets/72157604999952452/

These stems are superbly engineered, many consider them the finest quill stem ever..

I thought only the Ultegra version used a standard wedge, with the Dura Ace using an expander 'cone'? The 'wedge' would be much easier to improvise than the 'cone' but sourcing that bolt is gonna be tricky. To be honest I don't think there's much chance of bodging the bolt yourself as it's such a fiddly little thing with two different diameter threaded ends and that allen key fitting (see pic).. Unless you can come up with something much simpler...

Edit -sorry hadn't seen above reply..

I was thinking I could improvise something if I could find a bolt that fits. Maybe just get a regular bolt and tighten it from the bottom through the fork steerer.

Bit of a shame really, because as you say, they are very nice stems.

I've just taken this off a 600 AX. The coarse thread is left handed. The wedge swivels on the narrower part and is held on with the nut.

600_AX_Expander_KF.jpg

Thanks a lot, Simplex. That's a massive help. Might be able to figure something out now I know what's what.

Back