Finished at last - 89 Rockhopper Comp

Cheers for all the nice comments guys, she has been a work in progress for a very long time and I'm chuffed she's finally finished and rides very nicely too. light too ...

v.nice, a clean and pure bike :cool: - should be a BOTM entry i'd say
i've got an good lead on one, and this has inspired me to chase it up :D

I have black and white pics, I need to scan them in, but maybe it was an 87 - mainly white, with blue and magenta, I think it had yellow lettering.

cost £430 new I think

really nice build Hilts - love the candy red paint with the black XT kit.

Like many of us this reminds me also of my '88 Rockhopper - i always wanted to get canti mounts added as the U-brake set up drove me mad!

MadCowKev":mnghklsu said:
...as the U-brake set up drove me mad!

You need to buy some rose tinted specs, I loved the ubrake :)... I still use it on my GT, although on top of the bike now - no one in uk seems to weld bosses onto titanium.

I ended up chroming my Comp, I regretted that in the end, but it did look good at the time.

I'd buy one again if I had the money spare... and the space.

Put it in BOTM please.

The Ken":3614i79j said:
MadCowKev":3614i79j said:
...as the U-brake set up drove me mad!

You need to buy some rose tinted specs, I loved the ubrake :)... I still use it on my GT, although on top of the bike now

Ken - sorry, loved U-brakes in the right set up (ie on top like your GT and in dry conditions) but mine was under the chainstays (which were narrow) and clogged easily plus it was a cr*p Exage one which wasn't easy to adjust like an XT (which I couldn't afford when i was 14!)

Remember when the XT-II U-Brake came out with a little Shark's tooth to match your shark's fin? Superb...

Back