Not-so, sort of old school... not really. Maybe.

digdug

Cannondale Fan
Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's right on the cusp of being considered "retro" though for me it has been one of the bikes I have wanted since the very early 90s. It's a 1998 Landshark Dirt Shark fillet-brazed in Reynolds 725 steel, with a Rock Shox Judy SL. It's full Shimano XT and this bike will be my every-day trail rider.

I'm sure a lot of you guys have never heard of Landshark, but it is the consumate micro builder. It's one guy doing the design, welding, painting, shipping and everything. John Slawta is the man, and he's an absolute artist.

I stumbled across this bike on eBay, and after it didn't sell, was offered the bike at a price I wasn't too excited about. A month or so later, I got a note from the seller with a price right where I had bid on it and couldn't pass it up. I essentially got the whole bike for about 1/3rd of the original price of the frame and fork.

I have already added my own saddle and tires, and will be making updates to the components like seatpost, bar-ends, stem, grips, and other items in the near future. Ignore the tacked-on bare-nds and roadie pedals (I wanted to ride it up and down the block); they will be swapped out shortly. I am even contemplating putting older components on it to get it more in my comfort zone.

Not quite old school, but it's as new as I will ever get.

dirtshark_004.jpg

dirtshark_005.jpg

dirtshark_006.jpg

dirtshark_008.jpg

dirtshark_009.jpg

dirtshark_010.jpg

dirtshark_007.jpg

Last edited:
thats very nice doug. love the paint :D
I'm guessing a lot of people who spend time on here also visit mtbr.com, so they'll probabily be aware of landshark :)

Doug,

Saw this one on ebay and would have loved to jump in the fray but I've got a few too many other bike projects active just now.

Congrats on a fine handmade frame...definately deserves a "she's a beut Clarke!"

cheers,

rody

Nice ride Doug, love that fillet brazed style. As Mike mentions the only exposure I've had to land shark is through MTBR VRC.

I love paint (or even carbon ;) ) that gives the illusion of depth. looks like you could dip your finger into the tube. dunno why! just looks cool :)

Thanks guys. I love the bike, too. Can't wait to ride it.

I've always been a fan of kind of loud, obnoxious paint, and this one is a perfect blend of annoying and classy. Can't beat it, and it looks AMAZING in the sun.

Now, do we back-date it and go retro purple anodized on it?

Doug Carter":kecrceq6 said:
Now, do we back-date it and go retro purple anodized on it?

That ride definitely deserves pimping. Not sure about going purple, that's more fitting on early 90s rides.

Back