When it rains in Seattle, it pours Nightstorm-Klein content

GearlessinSeattle

Senior Retro Guru
When it rains in Seattle, it pours Nightstorm. :)

I posted in the Marketplace forum a Nightstorm Klein Attitude that was going for $1800us and was owned by a former Klein employee. It would have been great to get but the price was way, and I mean way, over my budget so I figured there would be someone else out there that would want it and snatch it up. I think someone from Spain bought it. Anyways, there I was with my kids, watching them play when I pulled out my trusty iphone and went to Seattle Craigslist to see what might be waiting for me and low and behold but what did I see, but a 95 Klein Attitude in Nightstorm. I immediately called the fellow as he was nice enough to include his telephone # and set up a time to meet. Now this Klein was priced way, way lower than the previous one so I felt that it was worth the 1hr drive to see it. I was not disappointed. It turns out this fellow was a former employee as well. I was a little sad when I first saw the Attitude as it was missing the MC2 bars but after talking with this nice fellow I learned that the stem that was on it was a 1 off prototype MC stem that obviously never made it into production. The fellow said that Klein was toying with the idea of making the stems with removable faceplates so you could put your bar of choice on. Kinda cool! It also had a mismatch of parts as you can see but it was the frameset that I was after. He was also nice enough to give me 2 sets of NOS Klein grips.:)

I have stripped it, put on an Flite Alps, Ringle seat binder and will wax it sometime later this week.

And so the rebuild begins. I will update as it progresses.

Dang, Christmas came early.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Grips_1.JPG
    Grips_1.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 3,460
  • Klein Sig_1.JPG
    Klein Sig_1.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 3,459
  • Klein Storm Front_1.JPG
    Klein Storm Front_1.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 3,460
  • Klein Storm Side_1.jpg
    Klein Storm Side_1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 3,460
Couple of photos of the stem.

Attachments

• Klein Strip_1.JPG
    Klein Strip_1.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 3,457
  • Stem Back_1.JPG
    Stem Back_1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 3,457
  • Stem Front_1.JPG
    Stem Front_1.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 3,457
Sweet and congrats on picking it up so quickly. Thanks also for not divulging the price. It would be salt in the wound. ;) What r u planning for the drivetrain and brakes?

Not sure.
I have an old XTR Group even though in 95 they came with XT or I may do a montage of stuff I have laying around. Cook, Avid Tri's.
Not sure what to do with the bars/stem.
Do I paint the stem black?
Do I polish it up?
Do I go with titanium bars or something different?
It will need new bearings in the headtube as they feel shot.
So, any suggestions would be nice.

hilarious! well nice work. I was briefly tempted and then quickly remembered that i am three weeks into unemployment.... :cry: (know anyone hiring???) what are you going to do with the wheelset ;) ;) ;) ? i think you should get the stem painted black to match the lower part of the fork and it will look spot on! when we going riding??? catch you later.

Brian

Klein made a handlebar I think it was called the Stratum 185 or something like that. Probably hard to find but with your Klein employee connections... ;) Otherwise, the components you suggest would meet with my approval :). Keep us posted as it comes along.

Wow, you are a lucky man!! :D

This is the closest photo of a Stratum bar I have found that SF Klein refers to:

pinnacle.jpg

These are some opinions about it :roll::

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/handlebar/klein/stratum-165-bar/PRD_351999_123crx.aspx

And short description about Klein Stratum bars:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/handlebars/klein.html

What can you explain us about the rear rim? Too wide, isn't it? :shock:

I hate you...

I hate you all who can score like this on your stupid Craiglist.
Why dont we have anything like that in Finland.

That is my favorite Klein! It´s going to be nice, I bet!
Congrats! :D

Anyone know what happened to 'NUKE'? Is he stuffed away in a corner at Trek painting lightening strikes on Project One Madone's?

Shamus":3slqejmn said:
Why dont we have anything like that in Finland.

Same thing in Holland, did we all sit on our money bitd and never would pay more for nice paintjobs, let alone for a KLEIN??

Very nice Nightstorm this one is again. Nice to see the headset. Never een it before either.
think nicest looking is to paint it to match a handlebar. But this grey is orginal:)

Have fun an looking forward to see it build up.

Btw, I have seen several stratum bars pop up on the ebay past year, so I think it shouldt be hard to find one.

Back