Salsa A La Carte - Rennovation

Well done for giving it a new lease of life. That must have been expensive, but I'm sure you did the right thing.

I think your choice is whether you want it to be a modern bike or a mixture of retro and modern. You decided against disc tabs I see (phew!), but with the contemporary decals and everything about the forks, bars, saddle etc being contemporary, it looks quite like a modern bike.

We can see from the chainstay though how much longer the fork is than the frame was designed for. A horizontal chainstay/circa zero bb drop would generally indicate a fork at least 3" longer than intended, and in your case I would guess something around 9cm static and 6cm sagged, reducing the head angle from c71 to c67. But although that sounds bad, it's still not far off a modern hardtail concept. Provided you have a shortish stem and a bit of sweep in the bars, you're speeding the steering back up, and if the top tube is on the long side for you, so it still fits, then that's all fine, it's just the modern formula.

So all in all I think it should work ok as a modern bike and like you I'd be 50/50 as to whether to make a retro gesture by reinstating the flashes of colour. I guess I would in the end, just provided I was confident I could do it well.

Hi- Anthony

You're right it was expensive -
but the frame cost £700 back in '91 so I figured it should be fixed.
I'm with you on the geometry thing - i've spent a lot of time riding an On - One Inbred for the last year and the slacker head tube arrngement is good. There are a lot of bikes on this sight with seriously long stems that are ok if you like to have your arse in the air !! or make an appointment when you want to turn a corner. But seriously the forks on my Salsa are a Frankenstein of 1997 RS Judy XC ( Crown & steerer ) and 2002 RS Judy XC Air Assist.( Lowers and stancions ). They end up just 20mm longer tham the stock 1997 RS Judys - but I'm running them very plush with around 25 of the 80mm sag - so it all equals out ok.
I took the bike out today and it's very well behaved downhill - Its also got a seasonally adjusted paintjob now - MUD.

Lets just ride

ps . There won't be a ' period build' for this bike as it's still alive and being ridden and will never hang on a wall...............

Back