1992 GT Karakoram (Tequilla Sunrise) - build start

drystonepaul":1dlc9mgt said:
I'm pretty sure that it was a flip-flop stem on this one.

Agree.

I am fancying a black bar/stem/post combination, but have concerns as to whether a Syncros stem may look too chunky :?

I like it :cool:
Is the U brake original cos my Tequesta had canits on and I think that was a 92 ? (still got the stem if you decide which way to go)

i think your concerns have solid grounds. it will look wrong imo

yeah i would have thought earlier too
mebee 90 91
need to get up the loft for a rummage in my old mags
the alloy stems on the 93 models are described as flip flop
but i meant the cromo ones
think that year would have the adjustable front dropouts too ,on the
rigid forks

lewis1641":2m5t1qhn said:
i think your concerns have solid grounds. it will look wrong imo

I swapped the original flip-flop stem to a Control Tech on my 92 Bravado BITD. This was mostly to save a bit of weight as the cro-mo flip-flop quill stem was pretty heavy. It also had the 3D Triple-Trak forks with adjustable rake. I still have my set of those in the loft.
The Control Tech stem looked pretty good and worked very well in my opinion.
There are some pictures here

You probably all know this but the 1990 - 1998 GT catalogues are all in the GT archive here;
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=10499

mikee":nz2n3j7s said:
yeah i would have thought earlier too
mebee 90 91
need to get up the loft for a rummage in my old mags
the alloy stems on the 93 models are described as flip flop
but i meant the cromo ones
think that year would have the adjustable front dropouts too ,on the
rigid forks

The 93 models had alloy ahead-stems, the design of which leant itself very nicely to the whole flip-flop reversible stem idea. Aheadsets and stems kind of rendered GT's flip-flop concept obsolete, as any practically any ahead stem could be flipped or flopped.

The older cro-mo flip-flop quill stems relied on two wedges, one as normal at the bottom and one at the top to hold the shaft of the stem in place. All of which added to the weight of the design.

They were good though.

i have an identical project waiting to complete.
mine is the same 92ish fade, it has a colour matched flip flop stem, it has black gt bars and seatpost.
not the lightest frame but those colours are cool

clockd":1lzw7rcn said:
not the lightest frame but those colours are cool

I agree. Not too light, but robust and a damn cool colour scheme. In fact the Sunrise paint scheme is my main reason for wanting this one.

Back