RETROBIKE ROAD RIDE - Would anyone be interested?

sinnett177":2erok7ie said:
So pending a date, shall we say this is achievable Flanders? Venue sounds good, levels of interest sound good. So just need a date (no panic with this) and some bikes I guess. Might even buy myself a retro road bike just for this.

Not Flanders - Overend!!! There's more than one (in)famous Ned.

Even if I did once have ginger hair, ginger moustache and thick rimmed glasses.

I would be looking for April/May time next year once the snow has cleared and the frosts have finished up North.

I can check with a convenient cafe (which is a farm shop cafe we visit regularly with a fair amount of parking but not very big inside unless they relocate the cafe area which they're talking about doing) if it will be OK to park etc. for a day. This is roughly between Womersley and Pollington if you're looking at a map. If the weather's good there's plenty of space outside to eat, drink and chat. Bring your own chairs!

Sounds fantastic, think your right on date wise also. Might be a hectic time in the retrobike calender, but we'll fit it in somehow. Give me a shout when you have a probable date and we'll organise from there.

Sounds good to me, My road bike is not strictly retro but it is a classic. I could put the Kojaks on something proper retro.

I'm up for this, I could give Nayfinesse a lift down to save on fuel. I know the area Ned is proposing well, my friend owns the Manor at Kirk Smeaton and has a large barn that we might be able to use for lunch.

I'd be interested.
The cafe mentioned is good.

Update: we did a local ride from there today and enjoyed quiet, flat roads :D and sunshine :shock: ).
The nice lady who runs the shop/cafe says there's a big yard available for parking and, if someone lets her know, they can borrow a marquee from the people “next-door” if the weather looks wet and numbers warrant it. As it is, there are 2 picnic benches at the rear, one or two at the front, seating in the cafe for about 14 and 2x four seater sofas in the shop section. It is popular though.

I'd be up for joining in if it's sort of Donny way, could encorporate it into a visit to the folks in Hull and either drive on afterwards or drive back South if a Sunday.
Not overly keen on a fast pace though as I'd like to see some of the bikes aside from just a rear view :( also like to have a chat along the way & take in the countryside instead of whizzing by catching me breath...lol
oh & as an aside, I outgrew my old Campagnolo & Raleigh retro tops years ago so will be in none period garb... best for all concerned really :LOL:

I'm waiting for something interesting to turn up at the tip - the Norman Fay is currently the equivalent of:

bike-in-bits.jpg

tonyf39":2oj0z9l3 said:
I'd be up for joining in if it's sort of Donny way, could encorporate it into a visit to the folks in Hull and either drive on afterwards or drive back South if a Sunday.
Not overly keen on a fast pace though as I'd like to see some of the bikes aside from just a rear view :( also like to have a chat along the way & take in the countryside instead of whizzing by catching me breath...lol
oh & as an aside, I outgrew my old Campagnolo & Raleigh retro tops years ago so will be in none period garb... best for all concerned really :LOL:

Definitely on the way to Hull. The area in mind is either side of the M62 near Eggborough Power Station. Nice and flat and plenty of quiet lanes.

Old Ned":dqfgfa50 said:
tonyf39":dqfgfa50 said:

Definitely on the way to Hull. The area in mind is either side of the M62 near Eggborough Power Station. Nice and flat and plenty of quiet lanes.
NIce, it wont be far from where I did my first (& only) audax event when I was a yoof back in the late 80's

Back