BoTM December 2009 - Nomination please

Status
Not open for further replies.
legrandefromage":3k07fqk4 said:
So, who will win Breezer of The Month?

Correct me if I'm wrong.....but weren't these just a stock production model 1993 vintage bike built by Taiwan Hodaka with a designer paint job bearing a famous name? A side from the fact that these two black and white bikes have never seen more than a ride around the block why is everybody falling head over heals for them??? Sure it's a nice paint job...Correction... from what I remember of most of the Breezer's the paint wasn't that good back then...I mean nice looking scheme....bearing a "name".

gm1230126":bboowfwu said:
Correct me if I'm wrong.....but weren't these just a stock production model 1993 vintage bike built by Taiwan Hodaka with a designer paint job bearing a famous name? A side from the fact that these two black and white bikes have never seen more than a ride around the block why is everybody falling head over heals for them??? Sure it's a nice paint job...Correction... from what I remember of most of the Breezer's the paint wasn't that good back then...I mean nice looking scheme....bearing a "name".

Bitter - party of one? Your table is ready. :p :LOL:

gm1230126":397d7es3 said:
legrandefromage":397d7es3 said:
So, who will win Breezer of The Month?

the paint wasn't that durable, and I've never been into 90's breezers much, but it's not just any famous name, eh...

http://www.mombat.org/Breezer.htm

the H in the serial number represents Hodaka

Yep the H in the serial number stands for Hodaka. Golden did you have one?...If so, how did they ride. All I can remember is Quality Bike distributing them in the Midwest and selling many of them at a huge discount at the end of the model year. From what I remember they had a retail price that was 100 or more per model higher than anyone else's similarly equipped bike and that's a lot to pay for a name. Hence not many dealers were putting them on the floor. There were lots of other hot paint jobs out in 93 that sold better because of the color.

gm1230126":1b8m5r1p said:
Yep the H in the serial number stands for Hodaka. Golden did you have one?...If so, how did they ride. All I can remember is Quality Bike distributing them in the Midwest and selling many of them at a huge discount at the end of the model year. From what I remember they had a retail price that was 100 or more per model higher than anyone else's similarly equipped bike and that's a lot to pay for a name. Hence not many dealers were putting them on the floor. There were lots of other hot paint jobs out in 93 that sold better because of the color.

I've had a bunch of chances to buy one over the years, just never felt compelled to go through with it; didn't feel it was worth it.

Now one from the 80's...that's a different story :D

For pure style and the passion of the build, Nothing comes close to the Prewar Klunker. My hat is off to J Westy and his Schwinn Bomber. If you haven't already, take the time to read the thread on this bike.
T

mechagouki":2sbc4svv said:
mechagouki":2sbc4svv said:
Got something a bit different coming.......watch this space.

Hints: It's over 20 years old. It's Japanese.

Here you go; 1986 Miyata One Thousand: Shimano Deerhead/600 equipped, 90% original (front wheel is a replacement). My favourite bikes have 26" wheels and fat knobby tires, but this is a beautiful machine. Made in Japan, no compromise quality - still on it's original tires (which according to Sheldon Brown's website are the only radial bicycle tires ever made) and the seat and grips are original too. It was very dirty when I got it, looks fantastic now (IMHO).

miyataside.jpg

miyatafront.jpg

damn - gets my vote....

MTB of the month - December

Okay, let's give it a try.

This a kind of a special bike and a lot of people will ask "what is this"

Here are the specs:

• Frame: 1991 KLEIN Attitude "Reese's", XL (22")
    Fork: KLEIN Unicrown "Reese's", XL
    Headset: KLEIN integrated MC1
    Bar / Stem: KLEIN MC1
    Grips: ODI

Full Group: Shimano XTR 900 which includes
    Brakes
    Shifters / STI-Combo
    Derailleur & Shifter
    Cables: Gore-Ride-On
    Cranks: Syncros Revolution, Custom Painted to fit frame / fork
    Wheels front: XTR hub, DT spokes (radial), Araya rim, Specialized 1991 tire
    Wheels back: Tioga Tension Disk, XTR, 12-32 8-speed cassette, Specialized 1991 tire
    Skewers: Tune AC15 (the oooold ones)
    Seat post: Control Tech
    Saddle: Flite Titanium 1st generation

Now the story to the bike: It came over from the US 3 years ago and circulated a bit on ebay.de, but no one was sure about it 'cause of the color.

As I was hunting for a 22" for some time, I did not mind about the color, so I decided to buy it in 2008.

In the 2008 KLEIN meeting, the experts had a look at it and recommended, not to have it repainted in any "common" KLEIN color but to keep it as an original.

Being curious about the color thing, I began to investigate and this is what I found out:

The bike is a "once only" built custom spray for the Managing Director for Reese's (a cake made by the brand Hershey's in the US) and the color of the frame is the color of the cake packaging.

The black "dotted lines" are the profile of the cake if you cut it straight, to make it look alike". Found this out by research in NYC last year and bought the matching t-shirt (see pictures).

To conserve the paint, I had it clearcoated (for sure, decals below).

Then built it up piece by piece to match the year, hunted for a fork (that was nasty) and made it paint in the same was as the frame...2 yrs. of work, but worth it.

The bike is being ridden frequently in the summer and was awarded "Bike of the Event" of the 2009 "KLEIN meets KLEIN" summit in Germany.

Hope you like it and make it bike of the month, I think it would be worth it.

Any questions / comments are welcome, Matt

edit: As I had to take out two pictures by yesterday not to be eliminated / disqualified from the contest, I had to take of the one that was initially intended to be here. Changed this today, so what you see now is what should have been posted initially and what will stay 'til the end, hope no one minds that minor change... /edit

Attachments

• attitude_reeses_3.jpg
    attitude_reeses_3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 476
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: MTB of the month - December

m_lorz":205l1khf said:
Okay, let's give it a try.

This a kind of a special bike and a lot of people will ask "what is this"

Here are the specs:

• Frame: 1991 KLEIN Attitude "Reese's", XL (22")
    Fork: KLEIN Unicrown "Reese's", XL
    Headset: KLEIN integrated MC1
    Bar / Stem: KLEIN MC1
    Grips: ODI

Full Group: Shimano XTR 900 which includes
    Brakes
    Shifters / STI-Combo
    Derailleur & Shifter
    Cables: Gore-Ride-On
    Cranks: Syncros Revolution, Custom Painted to fit frame / fork
    Wheels front: XTR hub, DT spokes (radial), Araya rim, Specialized 1991 tire
    Wheels back: Tioga Tension Disk, XTR, 12-32 8-speed cassette, Specialized 1991 tire
    Seat post: Control Tech
    Saddle: Flite Titanium 1st generation

Now the story to the bike: It came over from the US 3 years ago and circulated a bit on ebay.de, but no one was sure about it 'cause of the color.

So, I decided to buy it in 2008 and started to investigate:

The bike is a "once only" built custom spray for the Managing Director for Reese's (a cake made by the brand Hershey's in the US) and the color of the frame is the color of the cake packaging. The black "dotted lines" are the profile of the cut cake, to make it look alike". Found this out by research in NYC last year and bought the matching t-shirt (see pictures).

Then built it up piece by piece to match the year, hunted for a fork (that was nasty) and made it paint in the same was as the frame...2 yrs. of work, but worth it.

The bike is being ridden frequently in the summer and was awarded "Bike of the Event" of the 2009 "KLEIN meets KLEIN" summit in Germany.

Hope you like it and make it bike of the month, I think it would be worth it.

Any questions / comments are welcome, Matt
Skewers: Tune AC15 (the oooold ones)

Whammmo!

In comes the Reeces Pieces to take out the opposition with a good story and an excellent bike!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back