Name that RM bike!

bushpig":38sg6vwy said:
Very cool bike. I don't know what it is, but I am interested in it if it is for sale!

I was going to suggest you as a potential buyer, but decided it wasn't my business to do so - def. a collectors piece though.

Rocky's are a huge hole in my collection. Particularly since I'm a Canadian and cut my teeth in Rocky Mountain country!

Not a Equipe, not a Thunder Bolt and not a Ritchey.
Billy B was the main builder for the Thunder Bolt. (Derek B.)
It is from the early 90's.
It is a trials bike. RM was using 24 inch wheels in the 90's.
It is a hand built frame (only 1 of 2 built).
Where are the Rocky Mountain fans? Need more guesses.

Late to the game, though not a rocky fan :roll: , but I did know Billy B was Derek Bainton, was the Roadie builder in the 80's for Rocky Mountain.

Only trials bikes that I remember about where the late 80's one's just called 'Trials'

I would guess the bike was 1992, possibly made in late 1991 when he was playing around with odd frame designs. Decals, paint looks 1992 and then somebody stuck any old stuff on it that was lying around. If it Canadian who was the trials show off for them back then ?

Given there are only two of these, they are one off's and custom. If not built under the thunderbolt/tantalus brand then it's a one of name given to a team/demo bike for show and not that important ;)

Not as if the lush roadie frame in the vancouver museum has a name and I know I would rather have that frame it's a beauty :D

No, not the right name.
I should have made his name clear. It was Derek Bailey
He made both the Bill B and the Suzy-Q frame. They are other examples of his fine craftsmanship. The Bill B frame does not have a name on the frame, however it does have the same "hand made by Bill B" decal. Unfortunatly, they were on loan from Rocky Mountain and would never be sold.
The trials bike was sold to a friend of Rocky Mountain, otherwise it would be in storage beside these 2 frames. He told me the parts came with the frame. The front derrailleur was modified by RM to fit the chain ring.
How was the show for you? I was a little dissapointed. I wanted more retrobikes or bikes with local history. My favourite bike was the Naked Cycle, which bike did you like?

Back