Roy Cottingham 1997 'Chronometro' Road Frame / Bike

petecul

Retro Newbie
Hi all

I have a wonderful Roy Cottingham frame that was built for me back in the late 80's (must've been one of the last frames he made before he died) She's a beautiful old girl, has done thousands of miles and is still an absolute joy to ride...but I just cannot justify keeping her any longer and am looking to sell-up and make some space in the shed!

The frame is a classic old-school steel race frame, Columbus SL main triangle and forks with KL stays, Campag ends, Cinelli BB shell.

I have no idea what sort of money something like this would fetch...

Is it better to sell the frame seperately or as a made-up bike? It is currrently set-up with some orginal deep-section Campag Shamal wheels which look ace but weigh a lot by modern standards. Beyond that its a bit of a mish-mash of other components...bits of Veloce, Athena and more modern Mirage. I have neither the time nor money to source & complete a full, proper 'retro' job on it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi - its 23" seat tube with horizontal top tube (also 23")
73 degree parallel angles

I dont have any photos that I can post at the moment but if you go to...

http://www.hetchins.org/cottingham.htm

...it looks very much like the one in the first few photos - except that it is that deep metallic red colour all over (without the grey) and the lug work is not quite so fancy.

I really have absolutely no idea what sort of price such a frame / bike would fetch

Hi, as per the guidance which I assume you have read this needs a price.

Thanks to those who offered advice

I've decided to try and sell the frame only at this time (incl stem and seatpost). I'm looking for £150 or nearest offer.

I'm based up in Scotland so probably factor in a further £15-or-so for postage

Let me know if you are interested

Many thanks

Peter

Re: I'm interested too.

Hi, I've got one of these from 1985 - it sounds exactly the same as yours but mine was silver until I restored it last year. I love mine, it's the third Roy Cottingham I've owned and my favourite bike of my collection.

I'm also interested if it's still available, will pm you. Thanks, Ian

Back