ghosts.........

Oh, Deepdale Woods in Startforth, near the old army range there's a narrow wooden bridge. I must have been... hmmm, probably about 11 or 12 at the time. Was out with the dog..... Brissy was ahead of me further up the forest walk, I was walking over the bridge.... felt two heavy foot falls on the bridge behind me. Turned, no one there, completely freaked me out, never went down there again, ever. It still makes me shiver even after typing that.

Another one.... my sister was in the bath, it was an old worker's cottage in Cotherstone. The cocker spaniel was at the top of the staircase...... my sister didn't have a dog at the time.

I've been frightened, although I wouldn't say 'spooked' as such in my parents' place (the old family home). Creaky old house dating back to the Middle Ages, just tricks of the light I suppose.

I had a rather odd childhood home, my parents used to run a hostel for children with disabilities. It was based in an old victorian mansion house set in its own grounds. There were areas in the house where you never quite felt alone, I mean sure the wind rattled in through the window frames, and the heating clunked and creaked the floorboards but some areas felt like you couldnt explain.

The round hall and mahogany halls were the core of the house, connecting several areas of the building, and in these areas my hair would stand up on end.

My mother has since told me stories of when she was doing some cooking in the kitchen of one of the modern 60's units built in the grounds and in the hob backing saw the clear reflection of a man in a top hat stood behind her, turned around and nothing.

The unit she was in crossed one of the old garden walks of the house, the path would have laid directly under the kitchen area.

We left the house when I was 12, and would love to one day live there again, despite feeling "spooky" it never felt troubled.

The old house where I grew up (and started mountain biking in the grounds of!) was left to decay by Leeds city council, it was empty for 20 years and I came across it last year on an urban exploration forum. The building has now been purchased and renovated as offices, which is great but I feel it should be a family home, as it was originally intended, and I suspect as the gent in the hat would have wanted.

The house is marked as my google maps location on my profile, I still have a lot of love for that place!

PICT0043-1.jpg

Spooky old place, but I miss it!

And after it had its renovation, my dad approaching the front door gives it some scale.
SP_A0065.jpg

Since I have also experienced waking early on a spring morning in a 16th century cottage B&B, and seen a floating ball of light at the end of the bed, again it did not feel scary as such but freaked me out a little.

Around 15 years ago a friend and I were returning home late one night in his shonky old car and experienced something involving a Floating ball of light. It was around this time of year- cold, wet, leaves blowing all over the place. Ed's car was a shed- broken exhaust, whining gearbox and wheel bearings etc and he used to thrash it everywhere. So, this night we are bouncing down this country lane at warp factor 10 and onto this long straight stretch. About 5-600 yards ahead I could see this whitish cloud of smoke in the road. Nothing unusual, in damp weather a cars exhaust can emit such a thing and if the weather still enough it will linger a moment. So I'm sat there in all this racket, listening to the radio (which was always full blast) and I'm looking up the road to see tail lights. No car ahead, strange. Then I started thinking in this funny slo motion. Its windy as hell out there, the car was rocking about in the gusts. What the hell is it? Why is it not moving?
It was really strange. As we got nearer the car slowed to such a pace it was as though you could get out and walk around it ( even though Ed claimed he didn't even lift off the throttle- he rarely did), all the noise and commotion stopped- the radio, wind noise, transmission whine, all went silent.
I then sat wide eyed as this ball of smoke, maybe 5ft by 3ft touched the bonnet of the car- this is where my heart jumped as it didn't change shape. We seamed to roll through it at around 2-3mph. I watched the top half roll up the bonnet and then the whole thing come through the windscreen and out of the dashboard. I remember trying to move sideways in my seat to get out of the way but I couldn't move. It passed right through the right side of my body. I also remember following it with my eyes and seeing Ed do the same with his mouth wide open. He later said he saw it pass through the rear seat and out through the rear of the car in his mirror.
Within seconds everything returned to normal, the speed, noise, radio all returned. We were shitting ourselves- shouting 'what the Fook'. Ed drove like a nutter the last mile to a village where we jumped out of the car- myself before it had even stopped! We decided to go into the pub for a calming drink. Inside were too locals and the landlord- who was at first convinced we had run someone over or had had an accident. This guy was an ex-copper and said he recognized the look of someone in shock. We told him what had happened and he said he although he didn't believe in such rubbish, the looks on our faces and the shaking of our hands suggested we were being straight with him.
A good few months passed and one spring evening me and a few lads had been out on the bikes and called into this pub. The landlord came over and sat beside us. He'd mentioned that night to he locals and it turned out that we were not the only ones to have experienced this ball of light- there had been two other occasions where it had happened. One local women actually lost control of her car and gave up driving as a result.

That is the only time I have ever experienced anything like that. Still sends shivers down my spine to this day. Ed won't talk about it unless you get him really pissed. He had a hard time over it- thought about it too much and would talk about it none stop to his GF. I'd love to find out what is was.

My mum died from cancer, and after losing a long and gruesome battle she decided to spend the last of her time at home.

We cleared the living room, set up her bed there, and waited for the inevitable. She died, and I was holding her hand. It's true, you never understand the meaning of the word death rattle until you hear it.

Here's the thing; five minutes after she died, I was sat there, sobbing away, and she hugged me. I didn't know before, but I am now sure there is something after death. I'm not religious or anything, but there you go.

How I miss my dear old mum.

I have seen and felt spirits since the age of about eight.

Although because most on here think i'm as mad as a shaved badger, i will keep it to myself.

Al. :D

I once saw a free floating vaporous apparition :shock: but it turned out to be a smudge on my glasses!!!

saltyman":1ymx41ur said:
dr s............what road was this on?

It was just a small country lane twixt the villages of Cawthorne and High Hoyland down in Yorkshire. It runs around the back of Cannon Hall- itself said to be haunted.

Back