Kona King Kahuna 97

It is perhaps a function of the titanium bikes being made more in real time than the frames built in Hodaka and Fairly.

In the 1998 Kona catalogue, the King Kahuna is the only bike with top tube rm routing, even though all 1998 production was ultimately with TT routing. I assume that means that the decision to change the routing was made just before the point at which the 1998 catalogue photos were taken (presumably in the early months of 1997?) And at that point, the prototypes of the Hodaka/Fairly bikes intended for 1998 had already been built to the previous design, but it was still possible to implement the change in the frames built in the Ti Sports factory.

That would be consistent with the change also being implemented in the 1997 frames still being built by TiSports, but not implemented in any late 97 (i.e., early months of 1997) frames built in Hodaka/Fairly.

Anthony":1f0fhq1c said:
second 97 KK I've seen with blue decals, and the other had down tube rear mech routing. That compares to four with yellow decals, of which yours is the only one with TT routing.

Whether the blue decal was an option, or a mid-year change I couldn't tell you, but considering the variety of the examples I guess option seems more likely.

In 97 the standard Hei Hei decals were blue and the King Kahuna were yellow, but you could have them the other way round if you wanted (according to the Kona docs that the local Kona dealer of the time here has).

I have a few shots of original Hei Hei's with the blue.

I also have shots of 20" 97 Hei Hei's and KKs with top cable routing. The frame numbers either side of mine have appeared on ebay since I got mine and they also have top routing and as all three have serial number less than 20 (for the 20" 97 KK) I can only assume that the change on largest frames was done pretty early on.

Anyway its nice to see the blue on a 97 as lots of them have been removed in recent years.

Anthony / Andrew,

Can either of you post up any pictures of a 97 KK with blue decals?
If it makes it easier to send a bigger file size I can give you my e-mail in a pvt.

Cheers.

pipmeister":eocsew3u said:
Anthony / Andrew,
Can either of you post up any pictures of a 97 KK with blue decals?
If it makes it easier to send a bigger file size I can give you my e-mail in a pvt.
Cheers.
This is the other one I have. Another fairly macho-looking build, which I think suits the powerful personality of the King Kahuna.

Thanks for your riding impressions incidentally. You must be one of the few people on here to be able to swap at will between titanium, scandium, 853 and M2. All you need now is a carbon fibre Kilauea!

Attachments

• 1997 King Kahuna size 18.jpg
    1997 King Kahuna size 18.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,369
Very nice picture Anthony – thank you. It’s curious how titanium frames, or perhaps the KK in particular seem to suit so many various builds including modern components - that is the 2nd picture I’ve seen of a KK with 4 arm XT.

I used to work in a local bike shop and test rode many different machines. My former boss there went to great lengths trying to encourage me to buy a previous year’s model Giant XTC carbon fibre frame from him. He also had a Specialized S-Works carbon he was trying to shift my way, but I ended up sourcing the Scapin Kyoto from Martin Lancaster of Veloce Bikes (formerly Boneshakers) – my boss was dumbfounded!

Mmm a Carbon fibre Kilauea eh…? To be honest, there’s a bit of a story behind why I prefer riding different bikes at different times – and with different amounts of fork travel. I’ll probably rattle something off and send a pvt to you, as it is fairly personal. Sorry to sound so mysterious; you’ll probably recommend me to post it up here regardless.

nice ride mate...
i have a 97 hei hei and it is a blast... mine has the yellow stickers and down tube on the rear mechanical. i also rock a white bros fork. i need a pace to join the club.
konas are the koolest

here ya go fella! I like it alot! This is my third Hei Hei frame. I bought an 18" off a gentleman but it was a bit big. I sold it to dirtbox. Then I bought a 17" 1996 frame but wanted the top tube routing! I sold it to eliborter (sp?). I decided that I cant be to picky and picked up this 17" frame with some top tube routing! TT cables look so clean! Its all spec'd with xtr m950 bits and thomson seatpost and stem, easton carbon bars! the bike climbs like a champ and turns so sweet. ill never part with it! LOL. its about 22-23 pounds... not bad for a 12 year old bike =)

DSCF1180-1.jpg

Back