Pure groupset, non series groupset or mix 'n' match?

Road bike components - your philosophy

• I keep the groupset pure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As long as it's from the same manufacturer, who cares?

• I select each part on it's merits

• Total voters
hamster":3egjgalv said:
Too much stuff is just rebadged for a higher groupset, painted up a bit and sold at a higher margin.
as someone on another forum once remarked. Each persons own level is just right. The more expensive one is over priced, the less expensive is crap quality.

Seriously tho', I couldnt vote. For a show bike, or one that appreciates some posing, it has to be one groupset. For my bikes, its what works best for me. Mine are basically campagnolo ergos, brakes and chainsets with shimano hubs, rear mech and cassettes.

I have my black Zieleman finished with Super Record, Weinmann Delta Pro and Roval ...and it is not even for function matter.

I spotted a Panasonic PR-6000 with DA7402 bar C-Record Deltas way ago. I totally didn't like that.

Mixing: You can do it right, you can do it wrong.

I like to keep to one groupset. I'm not a good enough rider to warrant better components over the standard or sensitive enough to notice a smoother shift or stiffer bb etc between the groups.

All matching looks nice imho :D

pigman":16yq2vqp said:
hamster":16yq2vqp said:
Too much stuff is just rebadged for a higher groupset, painted up a bit and sold at a higher margin.
as someone on another forum once remarked. Each persons own level is just right. The more expensive one is over priced, the less expensive is crap quality.

Seriously tho', I couldnt vote. For a show bike, or one that appreciates some posing, it has to be one groupset. For my bikes, its what works best for me. Mine are basically campagnolo ergos, brakes and chainsets with shimano hubs, rear mech and cassettes.

It's stuff for example like the current Deore XT V brakes which are identical bar the paint to XT , or Campag chainsets, which used the same forging for Mirage all the way through to Centaur / Daytona - the only difference was the finish.

beg to differ my rodent friend. I have square taper cranks of the same vintage. One set is centaur, the other is veloce. The centaur ones are much lighter (easily noticeable without scales). And these are cranks only - no rings, bolts etc and same length.

But I take your point generally.

hamster":2yvpc8na said:
It's stuff for example like the current Deore XT V brakes which are identical bar the paint to XT , or Campag chainsets, which used the same forging for Mirage all the way through to Centaur / Daytona - the only difference was the finish.

Yeah the finish and the writing ;) (and price no doubt)

Back