Global Titanium Softail - and back to Pace on the front.

ajantom

Retrobike Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
While I'm still working on my soon(ish) to be unveiled 1992 Saracen build (my first foray into retro :) ) I thought I'd give you guys a look at a recently completed modernish build.

I've always wanted a Ti bike - well what real biker hasn't lusted after the magic metal at some point! But it's normally out of our reach financially, eh?

Well I happened across this on t'ebay a while back, and put a low offer of £305 in, but assumed nothing would happen. Two days later I get an email from the guy saying mine had been the highest bid, and even though he'd wanted about £500 for it, would I like it for my price.

...................Um, yes please! So 5 days later it was sat in my front room.
I must admit I did sit for a while and admire it, just for it's inherent Ti'ness (yes I am sad!)

So to build it up I decided as it had been a bargain frame it deserved nice quality stuff on it, but only if I they themselves were bargains (you see what I was getting at? :D )

So, Pace RC36 Stealths, near mint condition - £50 (the bloke thought they were broke, but he'd managed to put the spring stack back in wrong, so they stuck a bit - doh!)
Hope XC wheels, including folding tyres - £80
Race Face Next carbon bars - free
Flite Gel (alright not an original, but nice) in mint condition - £20
The XTR M960 cranks - free!!! Found in the bin of my local bike shop. I chopped and polished these, and they look lovely :)
Most of the other bits came from the spares bin.

All in all it's pretty much my dream bike - it rides amazingly well too, which is nice! And the whole caboodle cost a smidge over £600.

Anyway enough waffling, here's some photos -

Frame, forks and wheels from 2003/2004, other bits some older some newer:

4134773288_deffb42d55_b.jpg

img_3890-medium1.jpg

Headbadge made by Hope :)

img_3891-medium1.jpg

Lovely welding, and the hose guides a lovely and minimalist - welded on bits of Ti wire.

img_3892-medium1.jpg

I am pretty sure I've seen this frame before but with another brand. Dunno what it was though...

Very Nice! Wanting a Ti bike and ending up with a softail.

Let us know how it rides.

I am a bit in the dark about the frame - I am (I think) the 4th owner of it. It has been owned by 2 members of the STW forum before me, and the first of those bought it on Ebay.

It has no serial number on the BB - so no age ID from that.
I do know the newer versions had reducers in the headtube so you could run an integrated or normal headset, but mine is integrated only.
They are/were distributed by Ride-On (a bike shop oop north).
The Global Cycles website no longer functions, so I can't ask them, and AFAIK they were made in Europe or Russia............but at that point my knowledge runs out :(

It is as you say a lovely bike.
I have 3 very different MTBs at the mo, and this slots nicely between the 1992 Sunn Crosss rigid singlespeed, and the 2005 S-Works Stumpjumper.
It is probably the nicest bike I've ever riden on twisty. fast singletrack (well equal to my dearly loved and sorely missed Kona Explosif). A real racer of a bike.
I should probably weigh it too, as it feels pretty light to the heft. I don't usually worry about stuff like that, but :LOL: it'd be nice to know!

600 quid you say....... WHAT!!! you lucky bast*rd!

That is a beautiful bike mate, very beautiful indeed.

Bet that rides like a high class hooker :D

I am rather pleased :D

Just worked it out and as you see it it cost £610.

I've got 2 slighty blingy parts on order to finish it off - a custom CNC chainring to fit the XTR cranks from a guy in the states. Only £30 (a bargain when a Shimano XTR ring is £80!) And a Paul's Chain Keeper to keep the chain on in 1x9 mode - another £30.

So a grand total of £670 when finished :cool:

I'm not sure of the red walled tyres mind - might have to swop them for something else?

Having been for a very wet and muddy ride on them yesterday I'm probably going to keep them on - amazing tyres on wet & rooty singletrack. I was pleasantly suprised! :D

The red is growing on me too (sorry!) As the rest of the bike is quite plain, the do seem to add an accent to it.

^^That does sound very poncey, but you know what I mean :LOL:

It would sound poncy, but alas I'm after a set pretty much because they have the red sidewalls lol.

Sound like they work well though so thats an added bonus.

B

Back