Weird Mech

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I have bought an old Falcon 10 speed from Edinburghs BikeStation recycling charity. Like most bikes sold from there its a parts bin special but well thought out. The bike sports a mixture of Suntour, Shimano, Campagnola, Weinman and TA bits with 27x1.25 tyres so more of a fastish tourer type bike.

One bit has me fascinated and thats the front mech by Campagnola. The chain shifter plates are attached to a post that emerges from the side of a flat box that is clamped to the seat tube. The cable pulls a lever on the left of the box and a single screw on the top of the box controls the shifter plates alignment.

What is this kind of mech, I've never seen anything like it but I think its well smart and intend to use it :D

cheers

Old Campagnolo Gran Sport

CampyFront.jpg

1089585067150_derailleur_campy_gran_sport_front.jpg

I just sold one on ebay!

They are either gran sport or valentino as they were in both groups

Have a look on velobase.com

cheers

Thanks guys, its a Grand Sport :D

How do they work, are they reliable and are they nice to own ?

I'm feeling in danger of moving to the dark side, you roadies have such nice components. I also have a Campag Nouvo Record rear mech and a Shimano Crane rear mech. I love italian road stuff from the 70's and before although I know little about it yet. Just looks lovely :D

If it's got an extended 'boss' where the cage shaft exits the body and the cage fixing bolt is on the side not the top then it's a Valentino which is a more modern model than Gran Sport. The top photo above is the Valentino but it works exactly the same as the Gran Sport.!

Have a look on Velobase site.

Thanks Old Ned, its a Valentino as you described.

Velobase is lovely, italian mechs are really wonderful engineering art.

I really liked those direct lever shift front deralliers, very simple with no cables to worry about :D

Must keep an eye out !

Back