Tell Me About Suntour MD Chainsets...

street

Retro Guru
I know its defeating the object of 'MicroDrive', but did anyone ever make anything like a 48T chainring for the Suntour microDrive Chainsets?
Only I have an 'XC Expert' front mech with a label that says 'max 48T' on it, and an 'XC Expert' cranks but with no chainrings.
I'm not happy with anything less than 48T really, so i'm wondering weather I need to source some other chainset or weather I should keep my eye out for bigger rings for it? Do they exist?
Thanks for your help! :D

just use a lower ratio cassette,thats the whole idea :LOL: they work out exactly the same ratio but with less weight.

Yeah true about the weight, but its all about 'torque'........ a 48-13 ratio will give you more power per revolution that a 42-11.?!?... or I may well be torqing b*ll*cks??
Whatever the scientific reasoning, it feels better to me :)

a 48/13 gear equates to 96 gear inches, 42/11 equates to 99 so yeah, your torquing bolx I'm afraid.
However it might be useful to psyche out your opponents if your racing which is why some BMX racers used to huge Huuuge front chainrings with a corresponding large rear toothed sprocket.

Torque is a function of crank length - if the gear development is the same the size of rings / sprockets is irrelevant...

Hmm, there must be more to it than that surely? Okay maybe not torque, but theres definately some sort of diference with a, say, 48-13 compared to its microdrive equivelent..... it just 'feels' better.... or maybe it is psychological?! :?

Johnrock- You got yourself a PM ;)

yep Its all in your head dude, but so are a lot of things so don't discount it :)

Large rings do have one other advantage inh that they wear out more slowly as they have a larger number of teeth in contact with the chain.

Heheh! I feel like i've just found out santa clause doesn't exist! :cry:
If I remember rightly some roadie dude told me it was all about torque when I was about 13, so its his fault really.
I kinda prefer the look of bigger chainrings though, very early 90's. And maybe your right about psyching out opponents! :p

As terry says, a longer crank will enable more torque as its a longer lever, maybe your roadie mate was referring to this and not chainring size?

Back