Cool Wall - Raleigh

Cool Wall - Raleigh

• Cool

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I thought about voting cool on the strength of the yellow/blue team dynatech which I'd almost kill for and the fact the first mtb I ever rode was a mustang but had to go uncool due to never actually wanting an obtainable one. :roll:

They were crap, simple as that!
Sure they did some high end exotica, but they were main stream for those that knew no better, mostly.

Much like Rover, everday metal boxes with poor quality engines and components - But don't forget; Metro 6R4, Rover SD1, MG ZT V8 and so on.

But, almost everyone has owned a Raleigh at some point in thier lives, yes it was a steeping stone to better things, but it was a start.

I'm going to say... COOL! :shock:

Some pics, those bikes that were cool if you cruised down the average street, cool in the eyes of the masses.

Attachments

• Lizard.jpg
    Lizard.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 441
  • massif.jpg
    massif.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 441
  • Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 441
Been thinking these last few days as to why Raleigh is so cool. This is what I came to conclude when I dug out some old pictures.

In 1984 I was 4 years old. I got my first real bike and learned to ride it. I adored it, it gave me a skill and a new sense of freedom.

This bike was this Raleigh Mini-Burner:

bmx.jpg

Better than that just weeks after learning to ride it taught me to race.

Here at an Anglesey BMX race in 1984:

bmxme.jpg

I finished dead last and by some distance too. But that didn't matter, I was the youngest rider there by a distance, fell off several times in a 2 lap race, even had to push the bike up some of the larger jumps and mounds and yet I finished the race to the warm applause of the crowd. I was made up, I was now my dream, a racer! Raleigh had given my dream, the dream to be a racer, a platform to flourish. Looking back nothing could be cooler than that.

Better still my dad won his races (even though he'd never ridden BMX before) on my cousins Burner, thus proven race winning heritage here!

bmxdad.jpg

But the story does not end there. I've kept riding and kept racing and this year the dream continued with a return to mtb racing, on the saddle of, you've guessed it, another Raleigh. This time giving Mr kawasakis team a good thrashing at Mountain Mayhem, again proving the race winning heritage :D

IMG_6197.jpg

Full circle, yes. Last to first, statistically yes :D

Raleigh, Brrr they're COOL

velocitizen":2wr78evg said:

Excellent stuff - and this pic shows why there were so many Raleighs built in Nottingham - hardly any bugger had car :D

Excellent times = Excellent Raleighs :cool:

Some really great old pictures velocitizen and Mark :cool: . Surely they deserve a few more votes?

Love that pic of the BMX racing above...if you look closely you can spot someones front wheel washing out behind the leader!

I like Raleigh bikes.

In fact my obsession with MTB's started with a Raleigh. A Portage mountain bike, then a Lizard, a Mountain Bike Team then a Ravine.

I even have 2 Raleighs now, a Mountain Bike team for old times sake and a Summit.

However, lovely as they may be, I just cant see them as cool. Sorry.

I also started my foray into MTB back in the late 80's on a Raleigh Montage!

Once bikes like Konas arrived on the scene though they made Raleigh look pretty prehistoric/bland...shame really as it is a brand most of us recognise and have had first hand experience of.

raleigh remembered

its gotta be uncool, unfortunately. but us older riders should remember when we was younger & all we could do was drool over the freewheel 87 catalog with its xt equiped ridgebacks, we could never never afford anything like that or say a top spec muddy fox! we had to cut our teeth on the more affordable mavricks!

Back