Cool Wall - Raleigh

Cool Wall - Raleigh

• Cool

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Raleigh bikes are cool for me. My first bikes were Raleigh's and introduced me to cycling. My Burner was v cool at the time with its yellow plastic wheels!

raleigh

just about cool.on grounds that they have consistently produced
bikes for the masses for many years.some good and desireable(burner,bannana,dyna.)some bad(extreme,activator).
imho,they have done quite well in a tough,american dominated market.
not deep-freeze but comfortably ice-box.

For a company that has it's own fan based forum
http://www.raleighbikes.com/viewforum.php?f=5 (try asking the question there ;) (that's just the UK section)
let alone all the specific model forums there are or the Sheldon Brown pages..

or the fact they are museum pieces
041005_cb_mp_his_strlf_730.JPG

and
041005_cb_mp_his_strlf_734.JPG

or the early 90's UK team
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDD-fWaeuw

They're still un-cool :xmas-cool:

I had to vote Uncool...

BUT, I did love every bike I had from Raleigh, which I think numbers as 6. I still have a Road Ace (Shimano 600 index model), which got a little small for me after a few years and so it was refurbed and gifted to my Sister who still uses it, its 20 years old now.

Raleigh did make some very cool bikes, but they also made plenty that were not, the balance therefore falls on the uncool side for me. I never had a problem with the quality of a Raleigh bike, and had many happy years riding them - as a kid you could get an Iron Horse BMX for about £30.00 when a Burner was over £100, no one was going to be persuaded on the price - the Burners were cool then.

The BMX probably stopped Raleigh going under quite a few years ago, but some of the thing they have produced since have not been inspiring and I suspect that its only places like this website that you can truly appreciate some of the great (and cool) things they have done in the past. :)

Before I strip it, one more reminder of what Raleigh bikes could be....

6822_163214368081_672683081_3678314_932795_n.jpg

6822_163214358081_672683081_3678313_5977533_n.jpg

Anyone wants the frame for postage costs, shout up. As long as it's not to be ridden as I don't want to be responsible for anyone's early demise or personal injury.

I'm sad to see it go - but the corrosion at the left seatstay airhole is just too bad to ignore, seapost is seized and RH side of BB shell is damaged. It wasn't made for Danish winters (the roads still taste of saltwater from the grit when it rains in early may)

velocitizen":36iwmlkq said:

Now that's cool :cool: But even if you gave all the Grifters and Panasonics prefect badges and taser gus, they couldn't bring the vast mass of uncool Raleighs into line.

doctor-bond":20m88zhi said:
But even if you gave all the Grifters and Panasonics prefect badges and taser gus, they couldn't bring the vast mass of uncool Raleighs into line.

For me it's the vast mass of uncool Raleighs that make them cool, it's the Budgies, Twenties, Massifs and Mustangs.

'I were right about that saddle though..' Genius!

Back