1991 Panasonic MC-COMP

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
My most recent project. Took delivery of this NOS ECS frame this week. No pics at the moment except for this brochure pic:

Pana8800.jpg

You can find the whole brochure in the mag scan section.

It is my second Pana. Bought my first, a 1990 MC4500, only a month ago.

I were really curious after the welding and overall finishing of the frame. I expected pretty nice stuff. My expectations are definately met. Nice welds, decals under clearcoat....

The German eBay seller claimed; "Stabiler Rahmen". Sure!! Stable it is! Light not. Just for fun I weighted the thing. 3180grams of Tange MTB OS tubing :LOL: Built to last.

Initially my aim was to built it 100% Japanese, but due to the excessive weight I considered another theme even more approptiate. New theme will be HARD CORE :cool:

Frame came without the fork pictured. Currently there is already a 1" NOS Switchblades installed in the 1-1/8" frame. For that reducers were needed, two parts my lbs luckily had. The headset is a again NOS XTR m900. I am thinking on all other components, but I will let you all know in this topic later.

To be continued

- Melvin

The project moves on.

110137818_d6e48c4b5c_b.jpg

110137819_a22b692074_b.jpg

110137820_6c5ad4f363_b.jpg

Specs I decided on:
- silver 91 XT hubs + silver 91 Ritchey Vantage rims
- silver 91 XT cranks
- silver 91 XT cantis
- 91 XT shortcage rearmech

...all barely used ex AlMega (rip) parts

Furthermore:
- meat Psychos (NOS)
- silver Tioga Duraluminum bar (NOS)

- Melvin

Do love it too. A bike I like. Quirky, no nonsense ride, for an exclusive group of connaisseurs ...and very trouble free!

Finishing is among the nicest of the Japanese mass builders, hence among the nicest of the industry. It is not entirely on Miyata level. Only Tig welded Japanese Miyata I have for comparison is aluminium. With that bike it looks like there simply isn't room left for improvement. Perfect symetric, zero flaw - can't see imperfections with my bare eye. For the Pana also room left compared to my FAT. On my NY FAT I hardly notice welds, maybe because they are simply very neat and/or the FAT people did some polishing.

Really enjoy going through the whole process of building the bike. Experience that bike after bike. Really Cool.

I agree on that! :)

The white near the headtube is marble effect according to brochure, but to me it looks more like snow.... anyway it is nice.

Would have taken probably quite a lot time for rust :evil: to decompose a frame built like this, but to ensure it holds up even longer I sprayed FluidFilm AS-R through the frame and blades.

ff_Dose.gif

Suppose I and the upcoming generations will be assured of a proper mean to go from A to B.

Melvin,

yet another quality ride, look forward to seeing it built up.

What's the story with the Panasonic brand?

Hi John,

Actually I am trying to learn a little bit more on Panasonic. Some things I do know at the moment:

- If I remember correctly teammanager Peter Post formed the Panasonic roadracing team after the very successfull TI Raleigh team stopped excisting.

- On the Yellow Jersey site quite a lot covering on vintage Panasonic can be found. According to YJ Panasonic left the USA in 1989, mainly because exchange rates turned very unfavourable for the Japanese. In Europe (or at least NL) Panasonics were longer available (for example mine is '91). Maybe that had also to do with the presence of the raceteam :?: ...I don't know.

- Panasonic still makes bikes. For example they do pretty nice butted Ti frames, like this one:

panasonic.jpg

Those frames are available in about 1001 colours, paintschemes and other finishings, including the original Team paint, paint that varies in colour through light (like on Alfas) and a really deep 'brilliant ti polish':

t7bp_2.jpg

- Melvin

Elev12k":39zswlma said:
I agree on that! :)

The white near the headtube is marble effect according to brochure, but to me it looks more like snow.... anyway it is nice.

Would have taken probably quite a lot time for rust :evil: to decompose a frame built like this, but to ensure it holds up even longer I sprayed FluidFilm AS-R through the frame and blades.

ff_Dose.gif

Suppose I and the upcoming generations will be assured of a proper mean to go from A to B.

Not using Sanders anymore?

Grtz Sandro

Back