BOTM Nominations

JustKev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Don't know why but i was thinking about the BOTM nominations on my drive into work this morning.

AndrewL and Boyburning both made some valid points yesterday and I wonder if some brief pointers could be set up for future competitions? I know it is "just for fun" for some people do take it very seriously?

All of this months entries are highly worthy of the competition, however my suggestion would be that:

1. The bike has to be posted in readers bikes by the last day of the previous month
2. You cannot nominate your own bike?

Just my thoughts - I'm here to be shot at and big enough to take any abuse!

PS - don't know if I'll every build anything pretty/bling/retro enough to warrant entry (if nominated by another member of course ;) )

Sounds ok in principle, but might end up with a very short list if only a few bikes stan out from the crowd in any given month.

Thats a fair enough suggestion - it also keeps bikes fresh and stops people posting older bikes that they have just sitting about that we've heard about before.

BOTM Health Check

For me the issue is how to maintain the interest in BOTM without losing it's 'English' appeal and to get those 'competing' to engage more fully with the site - by that I mean (as mentioned) that they should have the courtesy to place their bikes, catalogues etc. in our Gallery and Archive section at the very least; try and be a regular contributor; turn up at our events etc.

Personally I would rather not nominate my own bikes but, on the other hand, history shows that the 'competition' has consistently thrown up some real 'finds' and, is without doubt, the feature with the widest reach to our members. If we left submissions to non-owners it relies on individuals knowing what's in the gallery; and knowing what has and what hasn't already been entered - I believe that, on balance, the self nominating format is the most effective.

I sense that our site is going on to another level with the recent increase in activity Stateside. Retrobike should welcome this and develop joint activities and arrangements for the benefits of both sets of members, particularly with regard to sourcing of bikes and components; archive information and perhaps, visits! We can expect 'culture clashes' along the way but as long as we all recognise the shared spirit and passion for the older bicycle, we'll be fine. I would suggest that we perhaps consider swapping ambassador Moderators to defuse any over-heated debates!

Neil

In some respects I did like it better when bikes were nominated by someone other than the owner, as it implied that the bike has been posted and discussed previously on the site and also stuck in the minds of the forum members and hence was worthy of inclusion.

When I first joined the site (as well as reading for a while without being a member) at voting time I actually knew about all of the bikes prior to the vote, and it was apparent there was a kind of unwritten gentlemans agreement that if you wanted to ask a specific question about a bike you did so in the readers bike thread about the bike in question.

While it's fanastic that there are so many great bikes to vote for of late and so many people wanting to be a part of it, it would be nice to see a bit of etiquette return to BOTM and there be less last minute surprises so to speak at nomination time. :D

The 'rules' as they stand are layed down here > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8326

All we ask is that the bike be complete and be in current ownership (i.e. no entering old bikes you sold 6 months ago).

Obviously there are more kudos if someone enters a bike on your behalf but I've no objection if you enter your own ride. People are working hard to get their bikes in tip top and shipshape condition for this contest.

It would also be nice if the bike was already posted in readers bikes, probably not something I'm going to worry about too much though...

Back