Cool Wall - Raleigh

• Cool

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
sinnett177":m8paunsw said:
mechagouki":m8paunsw said:
sinnett177, I normally have great respect for your knowledge and opinion, and you have some lovely bikes, however today you are clearly out of your mind.

Maybe so, but consider this. Raleigh have actually made some truely iconic bikes and that is why they are cool imho, GT on the other hand have made a few decent top end bikes but nothing iconic enough to be called cool.

I'll give you the iconic status of the Tomac Raleigh and the team Dyna-Techs, but that's about it as far as I can see, my view of the more common Raleighs was that they were always a couple of years behind the current trends in the sport - either that or just not quite right - look at the non-standard BBs on Burners and Mustangs, strange geometry on both those bikes too.

But saying GT never made an iconic bike is really quite unfair, the Xizang is one of the most remembered and desired team race bikes of the 1990s and the Zaskar has a huge following and must surely be one of the best loved aluminum bikes ever.

Burners and Mustangs, strange geometry on both those bikes too.

Geometry is a very kind word for what they had going on :LOL:

nbt8py.jpg

The headtube is saying to the seattube - hey lets lie back and relax our high bottom bracket has rendered us useless from the word go .

Did the seat have a falling out with the handlebar and want to get as far away from it as possible or is the handlebar just hanging itself in shame ?

Perry, I haven't seen one of those Burners for a long time and seeing that just brings home to me how cool Raleigh were bitd. The thing is that Burner was attainable to most people too. Better still there was a dealer with a shop full of them just down the road, wherever you lived in the UK.

a shop full of them just down the road, wherever you lived in the UK.

That made me shudder a bit :LOL:

Like they were out to get me no matter where I hid .

So does cool rise with the attainability and marketing ?

I'm sure you could just as easily go into town and get a broken nose at little cost but is that cool ?

I had a Super Burner and my cousin had a Super Tuff Burner with Skyway mags - both had a clear poly finish against chrome plated steel that made it look gold - splendid stuff.

I sprayed it matt black - just sprayed it - didn't take any parts off or anything - just got a spray can and did the whole thing.

Sold it to a mate for £20 when I went to uni in the 90s.

Weird and uncomfortable to see that pristine examples go for silly money now. I saw a set of Burner pads go for £75 on ebay - madness!!!

Cool for a 9 year old - uncool for a 34 year old bicycle enthusiast.

perry":39sol5oj said:
I'm sure you could just as easily go into town and get a broken nose at little cost but is that cool ?

The Ontario department of health just payed a surgeon a huge amount of money to break my nose, that was 5 days ago and I have yet to discover anything cool about the experience............. :cry:

The TI Raleigh team and team Tomac were cool,everything else including the use of far too much fluro;uncool ;)

Back