Retro is Right

hamster":h2jsia65 said:
I think that there are two different things at play here: performance and fun.

Of course full suspension works better - that's why people use it and it helps win races. You can find circumstances where it is of marginal benefit though.

However, the question is which is more fun. A 1965 Mini Cooper I used to own was (by modern standards) desperately slow and uncomfortable. 250 miles was tiring and noisy. My 200hp Saab is way faster, outbrakes the Mini and is totally undemanding to drive.

Which is more fun though??? :D The retro bike may be slower, but if it is more rewarding and involving to ride, fine.

I don't think that you can easily balance the two. Enjoy the difference between performance and fun.

This is exactly what I've been getting at.

What scuppers it, is that my TVR is newer, quicker, and less demanding than my MkII RS2000 was.

It was a nice experiment, thanks for sharing.

Surely you don't want to spend less time riding :shock: - so ride retro!
..it's a clear disadvantage if a modern bike is faster you'll take less time riding.... :LOL:

Dunno...it all depends on whether you value style or substance. An Impreza WRX outperforms most, but still looks like a pizza delivery car.

I have been amazed that I ride my (rigid) 1999 Alu Cindercone singlespeed more than my 1994 Pine Mtn. I love its lightness (21lb) even though it's harsh. But so accurate and chuckable. Mind I'm not sure if it counts as kinda retro because it's got rigid forks.

It's taken a while, as I damaged an ankle and shoulder, and have only today taken the Cannondale out in earnest.

Well, what a revelation (no pun). This bike is not only quicker than the O5 and my Explosif, BUT is incredible fun also. All this in light of some of the worst conditions I have EVER ridden in - I came back with a big grin on my face.

It's rapid uphill (propedal on or off), and is superb in the technical rooty/rocky climbs.

Downhill it is spot on.

In summary, this is a much more direct and responsive bike than the O5, which gets to the top with no fuss, and descends on rails.

It's the 'dale for all mountain/trails and the Kona for rapid firetrack rides from now on.

In my opinion it's a far better all rounder than the O5. I LOVE IT!!

Attachments

• dale.JPG
    dale.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 419
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 419
Re: ....

ratbane":34m05kji said:
In summary, this is a much more direct and responsive bike than the O5, which gets to the top with no fuss, and descends on rails.

It's the 'dale for all mountain/trails and the Kona for rapid firetrack rides from now on.

Probably 'cos it's properly designed and built out of nice round tubes, rather than being cobbled together out of bits of old girder. ;)

Re: ....

suburbanreuben":2moae577 said:
ratbane":2moae577 said:

Probably 'cos it's properly designed and built out of nice round tubes, rather than being cobbled together out of bits of old girder. ;)

I wasn't going to say it! :LOL:

Interestingly, I love the subtle difference in the frame decals.

Cannondale - "HandMADE in USA"

Orange - "HandBUILT in Halifax"

I handbuilt an IKEA wardrobe in South Wales last week.

Latest posts

Back