Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Raleigh bicycles. A British insitution. But is it cool or uncool - you decide.
Do the likes of the Team Dynatech, 753 Pro and Aero Burner make up for the Activator? Here's a few Raleigh images to get you going ;)

Jan_Raas.jpg

Raleigh 753 Team Pro

85_011_lg.jpg

Andy Ruffell

Dave_Baker.jpg

David Baker on a Dynatech

233423tomac12.jpg

Tomac

Raleigh2.JPG

The Raleigh Activator

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with Uncool here, although that early-90s Baker-era team stuff had a certain something. The Tomac Raleigh isn't anything to do with the Baker Raleigh, so I'm thinking that any attempts to leverage the Coolness of Tomac should be disallowed ;-)

The British Raleigh always tried hard but never quite made it to Cool status IMHO. Also I had an MT4 which bent (twice) ;-)

unfortunately i don't think the few good things they did, which i think were very good, outweigh the piles of crappy metal they produced over the years.

sorry, uncool. :(

uncool for me too .

they tried to be cool with the JT bike and the Burner , but in my eyes never quite managed it .

The JT bike was just overpriced and rare and only had the Raleight name on it .

the Burners were nice but could not quite cmompete with the Starways and Haro of that era .

MikeD":lk6aj1as said:
. The Tomac Raleigh isn't anything to do with the Baker Raleigh, so I'm thinking that any attempts to leverage the Coolness of Tomac should be disallowed ;-)

Up to you to decide on criteria. All we say is that the vote is on Raleigh ;)

Looks like Raleigh is getting an early doors battering. Only one cool vote (from me). Perhaps the memories of the Lizard is stronger than memories of Raleigh Special Products.

279563516.jpg

Uncool I'm afraid from Hammond Headquarters.

Reasons cool: Race Team. British chaps and chapesses. Baker, Clarke, etc team were persistant and yielded great results.

Raleigh USA and Tomac - speaks for itself.

Dynatech brand was cooler - but still plagued with issues (tubes detaching from bonded lugs seemed to be a big problem)

Uncool:
Generally seen as poor mans bike - mustang, lizard etc. Dragged the brand down.

Tomacs bike wasnt even made by Raleigh was it? Wasn't it a Merlin built thing?

Putting aside juvenile feelings for choppers grifters and burners and since its retro mtb, the Raleighs were just sad sad sad. Very uncool. Did they not discredit mountain bikes as a fad?

Back