1996 Specialized Ground Control

Slow6

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Folks.

I reckon it's time I got off my rear and gave this bike it's own thread in the right spot. It's also a good excuse to try out the flickr thing.
Here it is the day after I picked it up. I was all set to pay $350 AU for it but when I fronted after a 150k drive the chap (very apologetically) told me that he'd discovered the cranks were stuffed after I had called.. from what I could tell it looked like the bottom bracket was seriously mashed making the cranks stick out at an odd angle and making the bike un-rideworthy but I couldn't see any cracks in the paint in the frame around the BB or any signs of stress to the cranks so for $200au I took a punt that it was savable.. for an extra $50 I took home his old Rockhopper that is now sitting at the end of my workbench, if I keep visiting this forum I fear I may have to throw some money at it soon.
Anyhoo.. Story goes the seller (very likable US refugee) traveled to and from the states regularly in the 90's and bought this home with him in his luggage, rode ot for a few weeks and decided he liked his old Rockhopper better (complete with BMX bars!) garaged the Ground Control ever since :shock:

4022086698_318b89f7ac_o.jpg

Getting the BB out was a bastard to say the least. Mashed up so bad the crank removing tool O bought for the job couldnt get in past the axle.. I had to break it apart bit by bit and fish out the balls and shrapnel with tweezers. But it came out and a new one from the LBS went in, the axle is 3mm longer but it doesn't seem to matter, chain line seems fine. Most importantly the punt paid off! the cranks and frame were not damaged at all, phew! Because it is so original I figured I'd take the tyres saddle and grips and put them somewhere safe as they'll be the first things to wear down and need replacing.. The best thing at the LBS was a charge spoon in brown leather so after a couple of birthday hints to the wife that was put on. Tyres were replaced with a set of Panaracers, I wasn't sure about them on the bike at first but they are growing on me. The red on this bike is verging on offensive! it doesn't really show in the photos but it's the kind of red that makes your eyes water like they don't want to focus on it, the glaring tyres actually tone the bike down if anything. I couldn't find any grips that suited at the LBS and the last thing I need is more ebay redeye so I think I might have a bash at turning some grips from some English walnut that I like to use for tool handles.. we'll see how that pans out.

righto.. enough of my gob.. photos! (apologies for not hosing it down before dragging out the camera)

Oh yes!.. I should say that I'm not 100% on the year or exact model of this bike. I'm batting for this one
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=55137&Type=bike as the spec and fork looks right but without a photo it's hard to be sure. Anyone who wants to set me straight is welcome.

4021956836_7b7a1387af_o.jpg

4021957538_4c35687382_o.jpg

4021958150_c5d1b25a56_o.jpg

4021958832_d842391372_o.jpg

4021199099_3a92b95b99_o.jpg

4021199671_cfa5a07702_o.jpg

4021200177_a066721b78_o.jpg

4021200657_56e31ffa11_o.jpg

4021961686_86c647feb7_o.jpg
[/url]

And the spec sheet.

Fork: RST 381L now BOMBER Z2

Headset: 1 1/8" now Onza Mongo III
Stem: Alloy
Handlebar: Alloy now Zoom 150
Grips: Black rubber jobs with the Specialized "S" all over them. now Homemade
Barends: NA

Brakes: Shimano ACERA now Tektro cantilevers
Brake Pads: Shimano now Coolstop eagle
Brake Cables: Shimano SIS SP
Cantilever cable hangers: SHIMANO now Blue Pills
Brake Levers: Power Control DIA-COMPE 3 now Real Levers with Grab-On grips

Shifters: Grip Shift SRT-400
Front Derailleur: Shimano AceraX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano STX
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: 7 speed
Chain: Yes!
Cranks: Shimano Alivio now Specialized Strongarm
Crank Bolts: Yes!
Chainrings: 3 of them now Blackpsire
Chainring bolts: Yes! now blue Kronos bolts
Bottom Bracket: LBS $25 special
Pedals: HTI P62

Hub Skewers: Shimano now Halo hex skewers
Rims: Mavic 238
Hubs: Shimano AceraX
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: 2.1" Panaracer Magic XC Rear 2.0" Panaracer Magic XC Front now Changed to Smoke and Dart
Tubes: $7.50 LBS specials

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: 30.9 mm Alloy now Zoom Lightweight chromo
Seatpost Binder: Present! now Odyssey Svelte

Weight: TBC.. The web quotes a little over 13 kilograms.. we'll see!

4135310526_a0fea2c0ec_o.jpg

Reposter":16eev74m said:
Neat-o! :cool: The brown saddle looks great with the red frame and white tyres.

Hey again!.. if I remember correctly If size hadn't been an issue I'd posting my admiration of YOUR brand spanking red Ground Control!

We'll see how the tyres hold up, I keep seeing mention on this forum that the retro "pale" tyres wear out fast.. I did momentarily think about not wearing them.. but hell, I figure I'll just enjoy the cool ride while they last.

That said.. out here in the sticks I think the only time this bike will get perved on is when I ride past a shop window and catch a glimpse of the reflection (who here didn't go up the arse of a parked car as a kid trying to get a good look at himself on his ride?) :LOL: I did.. hurt like hell!

I had a late coffee and uncharacteristic burst of enthusiasm so have the spec sheet filled out, will add it to the OP

Slow6":1080e6ox said:
Reposter":1080e6ox said:
I ride past a shop window and catch a glimpse of the reflection (who here didn't go up the arse of a parked car as a kid trying to get a good look at himself on his ride?) :LOL: I did.. hurt like hell!

:D :oops:

Last time I had such an accident was when I was 6 years of age. Maybe it happens when my (yours before and on its way now) Panaracers are on my ride...

I realy like the look of the tires and saddle with the red frame and forks.

Comment on your first post: Don't be bothered about getting the retro addiction, it might just catch you. Not realy a thing you can do about it and if it realy does you might as well enjoy it.... I do !!

Tiny update.

Hi Folks :D

Bike has well and truly wormed it's way into my heart now. Having a great time with her.

Thought you might like to see the wooden grips I made for her after not having much luck at the LBS finding something I liked. I turned up a few dummies and tried them out for a couple of weeks just to make sure I wasn't going to miss the rubber. I guess it might be down to the bike being a full suss but I actually find these grips easier on my hands than the black rubber things that they replaced. Anyhoo, last night I finally snaffled a little shed time to myself and turned up a matching pair from NG Rosewood. Didn't sand it beyond 400 grit and gave it a raw oil finish, the idea being that they will just take in the oils from my hands anyway and can be re-oiled if needed. If they were for a garage queen I'd go crazy and polish them up but I haven't crossed that line yet (touch wood)

I have to admit though.. I spent far too long pondering the timber choice. A neighbor asked me what I was making and I told her and added that I was tossing up between Willow to match the tyres or Rosewood that should be closer to the saddle.. "maybe I'm being a bit anal" I said.. "A BIT?" came the reply with one eyebrow up.

I blame you lot!

Thoughts?

Oh yes. The forks have been swapped over for some 281's while I pull the 381L's (anybody?) down to see if they can't be made to be a little less crappy. Have my doubts there.

4135311128_5e60d72bc4_o.jpg

4135311546_a13534eb3a_o.jpg

4134550641_44b4dea345_o.jpg

The end caps are just LBS cheepies to be replaced with something else when I get the chance.

4135312164_d5e501aec2_o.jpg

well I wonder if you are not the first retrobiker to have turned his own wooden grips :idea:

and you must be a master craftsman. What is the thickness you come to ?
3 or 4 mm or more ?

They are not bound to "split" with age or use ? I presume it depends a lot on the wood ?

bravo :D

Nice looking bike. Very clean.
I love those wooden grips. You should produce a limited run of them. I reckon their would be enough interest to sell a few.

Nice grips. Bet you could sell a load to the fixie boys and girls.

Hey Slow,

These grips look fabulous... Right choice of wood... These go perfectly with the saddle.
Going with the color of the tires wouldn't be that nice, I think. What's the next item to go for to make it in wood ?

Maybe a SRAM woody would be a nice idea to fit with the bike.. :D

Now you showed us these, I'm thinking of chopping up a frame and have some wooden 'tubes' to replace the top tube, down tube and seat tube... Not for my MTB, but it's just an idea to do with my regular ('dutch') bike.

What a source of inspiration these grips are.. :shock:

Thanks for the kind words folks :)

bduc61":2kl2t4r0 said:
What is the thickness you come to ?
3 or 4 mm or more ?

6mm at the ends and about 4 in the center. No reason you couldn't go thinner but I wanted to follow the line from the gripshifts and I have a biggish hand.

The pair weighs 49grams.

bduc61":2kl2t4r0 said:
They are not bound to "split" with age or use ? I presume it depends a lot on the wood ?

bravo :D

Eventually. We'll see how they wear over time, they should hold up well for a few years at the very least. I have a lot of tools with wooden handles that are well over 100 years old and have spent much of that time being worked hard. As long as the timber is suitable they should last a good long time (we hope) they'll take on patina but that's kind of the point in my mind.

I'd love to do a little run of grips some time.. maybe early in the year when play time is more common. There is already a set earmarked for a member on here who I feel I owe a good turn, maybe after a few more practice runs I'll feel brave enough to put a price on some and see how it goes.

mvd1974":2kl2t4r0 said:

Speak of the Devil.. Hey MVD :) Glad you like them. I was hoping you would. Will you be part of my one man wooden grip R&D team?

Back