Harry Quinn 531c frame, Concor Supercorsa, Campag seatpost

joe1983

Retro Guru
FS Harry Quinn frame, made from Reynolds 531c (competition) tubing with Gipiemme dropouts. Cutout lugwork, nice lugless fork crown, paint in good condition apart from the odd chip here and there. Headset and BB included.

ST: 52.5cm c-c 54.5cm c-t
TT: 54cm c-c

£140

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

Concor Supercorsa saddle, black leather, very good condition apart from one small tear on the left corner about 8mm in length.
£30

IMG_3847.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3849.jpg

Campagnolo seatpost 27.2mm, scratched from being inserted quite deep. £15

IMG_3836.jpg

Is there a frame number on the bottom bracket shell? I've probably got too many to add another at the moment, but it's always intriguing to know the history of another HQ frame...

That's interesting - the Harry Quinns built in Liverpool tended to have a Q1234 number on the BB... when they were built in Wales they had a Q123 number. When Frank Clements was badging far-eastern frames as Harry Quinns, they had a M2M12345 number. Not sure where this fits in.

Harry sold the company in the early eighties (81?) and bought it back a few years later - it went on until '92, where I heard some yankee businessmen shafted Harry and he had to close.

Now don't want to upset things with my first post and all, but that looks a lot like a Raleigh Road Ace from 1983 to me...

Hear me out:

Gipiemme Road ends
Top mounted downtube shifters
Non fast back stays (1983 model?)
Serial number would suggest Worksop?
Remainder of 600ax components as per previous listing?

Maybe its be repainted/finished at some point by Harry Quinn?

Would be interested to hear others thoughts on this...
Thanks!

Hi, I am more than happy to be corrected on what it is so no worries about upsetting me. I bought this from a guy who told me it was his wife's bike and I understood she had had it for a long time if not from new. He made no suggestion that it was anything other than a Harry Quinn but the points you make definitely make some sense, especially with the mismatching serial numbers and the lever boss.

Anyone else shed some light on this?

Joe

Given the serial number and that 531c appeared in the Reynolds catalogue no earlier than 1983? I'm betting this is a Road Ace.

the first of the aero ones with 600ax did not have the shot in rear stays found on the 1984 model. This Quinn has the aero topped fork just as a road ace should.

on the rear drive side chainstay the cable guide looks to be added, so the frame has none, just as a Road Ace should be as the 600ax rear mech take the cable from the top of the stay.

A quick read on Quinns (I know nothing about them) shows its highly unlikely to be a Quinn after the late 70's. I can't see this frame being any earlier than 1982 due to the top mount for the down tube levers.

Also the remainder of the parts (wheels, brakes etc) are all standard Road Ace 600ax kit.

Interesting that someone would do this to a Road Ace, would be interested to find out more...

Great detective work guys :D

Can't comment on what it is but I'd like to add that £140 for that frame is a very good price regardless of who made it.

Back