orange prestige 1993

quick update

filled the old girl up with Kurust which will kill any internal rust (that's the theory anyway) two points to note, the stuff gets every feckin where as it is very watery, and wear some gloves as per instructions, I am a serial instruction ignorer type and as a result I have black hands now .....""Out, damn'd spot! out, I say!""

before it went really black

kurust.jpg

messy pup :roll:

kurust3.jpg

turned dark blue when it dried

kurust2.jpg

here are a few pictures of the prestige in it's new black shadow coat, pretty good job by the chap in Kilmarnock, not perfect but a good approximation of satin. It is surprising how much more the frame weighs compared to paint, not huge amounts but noticeable.

prestblack2.jpg

prestblack3.jpg

prestblack4.jpg

Very cool, was a shame to get rid of the paint but it was pretty bad, you still got that bike or did you split?

clockworkgazz":2592u4m4 said:
Very cool, was a shame to get rid of the paint but it was pretty bad, you still got that bike or did you split?

me? no, i sold it in bits. it was a v small frame that one, had a low front end and a long reach to the front. it always gave me back ache. and i snapped one of the brake mounts off the forks :oops:

anyway, i restored mine too. nearly 100% original at one point. heres the link. :D

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58776&highlight=prestige

That orange on black look certainly cuts the mustard. More unusual than the standard purple fade and definitely in the timeless classic category.

The only thing that surprises me is that I have never seen an Orange from that era with the seat tube letters on their side like that, they were always vertical, one above the other. Not that I'm qualified to question the hallowed Mr Montague, I could never claim that and I feel sure he must have got this design from some authentic source, but personally I've never seen one like that. Earlier yes, but after 1991 not never ever.

Back