Project No. 6: Alpinestars Cro-Mega SS

GT-Steve":d3u8lrar said:
sinnett177":d3u8lrar said:
GT-Steve":d3u8lrar said:
Fantastic bars, but I would guess not at all easy to get hold of any more??
Steve, think there is a set of AT-4's on the 'For Sale' forum, do a search it was only a few days ago. Looks like i'm sorted with the nickel plated one too, Jonnyboy666 is picking up this week :D Watch this space for another alpinestars build!

Must get this one finished first though. Thinking of getting the frame and forks powder coated with a metallic grey front and rear and a white pearl mid section. I'll then spray in the pink and green 'ripped' dividers, decal and lacquer. but whilst i'm at the powder coaters, think a few other parts might as well get the treatment too.

No Worries, I thought I'd offer seeing as though I was driving throught there this weekend! Obviously I've got a grey/pearl white Cro-Mega now, so if you want some specific close up shots of decals, etc. drop me a line and I'll sort it out for you.

Steve
No worries Steve, I have one of my own!

CroMega 2010er Edition

Hi all

Inspired by sinnett177’s project. I am right now converting my Alpinestars CroMega frame into a 2010er version.
See the following link for further details:

Happy trails

Re: Now with link

tofino73":2yzqhkc1 said:
http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=434996

Happy trails
Great stuff tofino, if you need any help please get in touch. That was a very nice cro-mega LX by the way, but i'm sure you'll do it justice.

I must learn some German so I can read the reactions!

Hi

Not all of the postings are that polite ;-) They are wondering, why I "damage" a NOS Frame… However, I’ll keep the original painting and I am now searching for suitable components. I’ll keep you up date

Happy trails from sunny Switzerland

Since the last installment i've fitted a Shimano Alfine rear mech tensioner, which has given the chain all the tension it needs, given me the ability to remove the rear wheel with ease and also given the bike a pretty distinctive look.

2009_1228astars0006.jpg

2009_1228astars0009.jpg

2009_1228astars0013.jpg

2009_1228astars0015.jpg

2009_1228astars0017.jpg

Yesterday, the bike got it's first real test in anger at the Retrobike Turkey Twizzler at Cannock and it performed very well indeed. It did have a tendancy for the chain to jump whilst in the worst of the conditions but I discovered that i'd knocked the rear hanger out of line and after a quick straighten it worked fine for the rest of the ride. Think i've got this single speed thing cracked in terms of the bike. The short wheel base of the alpinestars frame means it climbs really well and more importantly they keep traction on the rear end better than any other frame i've ridden, thus i'm massively impressed by this bike.

Next step is to strip the bike down and get the Dremel out. All the cable lugs and bosses are to be removed and some general dressing done to weld areas etc. The frame and forks will then be sent off for powder coat, where the grey and white sections will be done. The decals are currently being done by Gil_m and the fluorescent green and pink 'ripped' sections will be hand painted. The components meantime will be hand painted to match the build. The only changes to current spec are possible changes to the chain, saddle, an upgrade to kevlar XC pro's and I might put grips with bar tape on the amazing and much talked about Scott bars.

2009_1228astars0019.jpg

Very nice indeed, Mark. I'm loving all those 'little' touches to this bike, been thinking about fitting discs to my old AL-Mega project, but can't fully decide?? just how much of a pain-in-the-ass job was it on yours?

Also, one silly question, but what's the point of a rear mech of a fixie?
Steve :)

Back