Chainring Help Needed

julesg007

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi All,

First of all - Mod if you think this is in the wrong place please move.

I'd like a small favour from the forum with regards to chainrings.

I am playing around with different chainring sizes and I'd like to try a 52t outer and 40t middle for triple.

I was wondering if I could borrow a 52t & 40t 110mm BCD/PCD chainrings to see if they will fit the frame, bottom bracket and front mech that I am using. At present I am just re-building and setting up the bike so I wouldn't be using the ring on a ride. I'd like to check fit and clearances before buying my own if all OK as I'd be a bit miffed if I shelled out for rings and they didn't fit and work.

If you are able to help I'd be very grateful so pleass let me know - I am more than happy to re-imburse any postage costs and I wouldn't need the rings for more than a few of days.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

With thanks

Jules

In my experience you usually only encounter problems with the granny ring hitting the chainstay, not the middle.

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up about the granny ring - got a 30t on route so will be able to check fairly soon.

The issue I have is that I'm not using a road frame - I'm setting up an MTB frame for use on the road (I have a modern bike for the off road stuff) so there isn't as much clearance for the rings as there would be on a road frame.

I'm looking to increase the clearance between the outside of the front mech cage and the back of the crank as I am using a CQP crankset and clearance is a bit of an issue with these cranks and there are essentially 2 ways to do this;

i) get the file out (and this is a common fix) or ii) fit larger chainrings.

With a 50t chainring I get a bit of clearance but I'm fairly tight on the chainstay so I'd like to see how a 52t chainring fits without buying one as if it doesn't fit I'll end up with a chainring that will be of no use to me.

So if anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Jules

Got it - are you using a road front mech or MTB?

Sorry I can't help with the rings - they are fairly unusual sizes.

Hi,

Am going to be using an MTB front mech - it'll be either a XTR M901 or M953 as I have both available.

I know "newer" versions of MTB front mechs aren't designed to work with larger sized chainrings, but I do know that you can get 52t XTR M952 chainrings (just seen one for sale of eBay) so I am hopeful that the front mechs I have should be OK.

Both seemed to work alright with the 50t chainring I have.

Hopeful someone will have the rings as they are available although not as common as the 130mm BCD size.

A note to all who may have a ring - I'd be happy to pay a holding deposit if you were at all worried that I wouldn't return the ring. I brought a few things via the forum recently and have had no negative feedback / comments.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Jules

cant help, but would ask you to let us khow you get on. My next project is to Roadify (if thats a word) a MTB with a chorus square taper 30/42/53 chainset using a shimano top pull front mech that was designed to work with and old style 28/38/48 MTB chainset.

I ran a Veloce 52/42 with a SRAM front MTB triple on a Kona Cindercone.
I never bothered with a triple though.

Hi all,

A partial update....

With the current width BB (122.5mm) a 52t chainring will not fit - with a 51t chainring (have one a fitted it) I only get a couple of mm clearance on the rear stay so fitting anything larger isn't an option unless I fit a longer BB.

I will still see how the operation of the front mech goes and report back.

Jules

Back