Project No. 6: Alpinestars Cro-Mega SS

Mark

I thought of fitting those bars to my Cro Mega LX bitd! Never managed to get a set and the idea died :(

What look you going for other than stealth? Be interested in seeing your decals if they are near copies of the originals on these beauts.

As always, I wait with anticipation............

Rhys

:( :( Roadie bars? :( :(

EDIT: Sorry. I'm upset because I love this bike but Im not into those bars man. Id have some proper MTB bars on there. Those are kinda psuedo roadie IMO. Its still a pukka bike though, Id buy it!!

Alp*Willi":2wmaq6vy said:
Mark

I thought of fitting those bars to my Cro Mega LX bitd! Never managed to get a set and the idea died :(

What look you going for other than stealth? Be interested in seeing your decals if they are near copies of the originals on these beauts.

As always, I wait with anticipation............

Rhys
I had that exact idea bitd too Rhys and finally I have something to put them on. They ride great on the singlespeeder, so many hand positions to choose from. Think I might put some grips on though as well as the bar tape. Rode yesterday and think I've fractured my finger from the vibrations running through my wedding ring! The tape ain't too clever in the wet either.

Paint work will be along the lines of the 1991 alpinestars, I've some plans drawn up for Gil, with luck he'll pull them off as he usually does.

Come on Mikesnowdon, open your heart you'll learn to love em!

mikesnowdon":3au1bkss said:
:( :( Roadie bars? :( :(

EDIT: Sorry. I'm upset because I love this bike but Im not into those bars man. Id have some proper MTB bars on there. Those are kinda psuedo roadie IMO. Its still a pukka bike though, Id buy it!!

There were about 4 sets of those Scott bars on bikes in the group I rode with back in college. I had a set on my Giant ATX-770 back in 1991. We used them off road, at least until we knew better! :LOL:

All kidding aside, I remember those bars fondly. They look goofy as hell, but the hand position options and comfort make them a good choice for a vintage bike. Fun Stuff!

I actually had a set of AT-4 Pro's fitted to my Alpinestars BITD. I remember all my mates taking the piss, but they were just fantastic for every situation, especially hammering downhill in the prone position :D

The only drawback I remember is that I could only get the wider set (From memory there were 3 different widths available) and they weren't perfect for hammering through town :shock:

I swapped to Thumbies after I got the bar (the cheaper LX versions) and the brackets started to bend. I took the thumbies back to the shop, and asked for an upgrade to the stronger bracketed DX/XT but they said no, as they were damaged, and I'd clearly hit something. I wheeled my bike into the shop and asked how the 'thing' I hit managed to get through the AT-4 Pro!!!! Needless to say I got my upgrade. lol.

Fantastic bars, but I would guess not at all easy to get hold of any more??

Your A-Star looks fantastic, BTW, Mark!! :evil:

Marcus, thought about sliding drop outs, but really don't think this is the frame for them. The existing dropouts are really more like fork mounts.

GT-Steve":1n9mb5jw said:
Steve, think there is a set of AT-4's on the 'For Sale' forum, do a search it was only a few days ago. Looks like i'm sorted with the nickel plated one too, Jonnyboy666 is picking up this week :D Watch this space for another alpinestars build!

Must get this one finished first though. Thinking of getting the frame and forks powder coated with a metallic grey front and rear and a white pearl mid section. I'll then spray in the pink and green 'ripped' dividers, decal and lacquer. but whilst i'm at the powder coaters, think a few other parts might as well get the treatment too.

sinnett177":l8asi3bh said:
GT-Steve":l8asi3bh said:
Steve, think there is a set of AT-4's on the 'For Sale' forum, do a search it was only a few days ago. Looks like i'm sorted with the nickel plated one too, Jonnyboy666 is picking up this week :D Watch this space for another alpinestars build!

Must get this one finished first though. Thinking of getting the frame and forks powder coated with a metallic grey front and rear and a white pearl mid section. I'll then spray in the pink and green 'ripped' dividers, decal and lacquer. but whilst i'm at the powder coaters, think a few other parts might as well get the treatment too.

No Worries, I thought I'd offer seeing as though I was driving throught there this weekend! Obviously I've got a grey/pearl white Cro-Mega now, so if you want some specific close up shots of decals, etc. drop me a line and I'll sort it out for you.

Steve

Back