'91 Saracen Traverse Hydrotech Competition

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
1991 Saracen Traverse Hydrotech Competition.

I was going to source some amberwalls but blackwall tyres were catalogue spec and I think they do suit the bike better.

Bit of a dream bike for me as I remember drooling over the 91 Saracen catalogue BITD. I finally got my hands on a '92 Tufftrax back in '93 which was my first Saracen and loved it, but that sadly got stolen. That started my love for early Saracen's

So now I have this completely original Traverse and it's been stripped, cleaned, refurbished and polished :D

SNC13137.JPG

SaracenTraverese91Catalogue.JPG

SNC13132.JPG

SNC13144.JPG

Nice, but up close, and in the cold light of day, it looks too big for me anyway, and most of you would probably be horrified by what I was planning to do to it :)

(and lose the tyres!)

That's lovely i was very tempted to have a bid. Figured it would be greedy having two estay Saracens though. Well the girlfriend did lol

Funny that, my initial thought was it might be too small for me. Need to get all that tape off so i can see how high the seat goes.

Need to find some amberwalls for this, but for the mo i was thinking of putting the Onza (repro) on, only because that's all i have spaare, and loosing those mudguards.

So what did you have planned?

Easy_Rider":9fv4kjob said:
It seems all original except the for the front rim / hub and the tyres.

Yep...there were/are some Wolber rims on eBay at the moment if that's any use?, the rest as you mention is 100% original apart from the pedals and other items you listed.

Those stems ride terrible by the way....mine lasted a matter of weeks back in '91 before it got changed :LOL:

Good pickup ;)

That is stunning, very nice indeed, a set of amberwalls and you will be well away. I love the decals on the 91's and on yours I do like the swept "handbuilt" to fit in with the elevated section.

A worthy conteder for SOTM should it happen :razz:

Why the Hartbeat stickers ? ........................ does it say Morph on the other :LOL:

Gravy Monster":1whq5hi9 said:
That is stunning, very nice indeed, a set of amberwalls and you will be well away. I love the decals on the 91's and on yours I do like the swept "handbuilt" to fit in with the elevated section.

A worthy conteder for SOTM should it happen :razz:

Why the Hartbeat stickers ? ........................ does it say Morph on the other :LOL:

The chap who owned it had died last year while riding a bike, not this bike. His wife said he had previous heart surgery 15 years ago, but this came on suddenly and he came off his bike and died. I imagine the heart beat sticker is something to do with his previous surgery. Don't feel right taking it off! Incidently, his wife has an identical bike only smaller, they have a few bikes there.

What does the S stand for then? Is this the breakaway group i've heard about :LOL:

EDIT: Penny dropped :oops:

Neilll":1whq5hi9 said:
Those stems ride terrible by the way....mine lasted a matter of weeks back in '91 before it got changed

I thought it felt funny up front, is that what it is? Can't really change it though, it's part of the look of the bike! Bars are quite narrow too, and they havn't been cut.

Ive taken the mudguards and barends off and raised the seat (it was nicely greased!) and it looks much better, the seat is ubber comfy too!

Very nice that.

Nice to hear the seat post came out easy for you! I think I have that exact saddle on it's way to me for my Saracen and thought it looked nice and comfy from the pics.

Back