Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ringo's Orange P7

• mike_eb's KHS Montana

• Total voters
DM":2jrejny6 said:
I voted for a Spesh! :shock:

It was a tough choice between Doctor-Bond's Fuji and Dr S' Stumpy.
In the end, the Spesh had the cooler 'moose bars and box/bi-plane fork.
(the wheel reflectors don't help, though ;))

Thanks for the vote. Reflectors have been removed and amberwalls have been fitted since those pics were taken. I was hoping to get some fresh shots before the poll but the sun refused to come out.

Thanks again to all that have voted so far.

Si

Neil":3camkssi said:
GoldenEraMTB":3camkssi said:
Neil":3camkssi said:
makster":3camkssi said:
mechagouki":3camkssi said:
Seems to me people are desperate to vote for something that's not mid-range. I love an old stumpy as much as the next person, but if it's mid-range where do Rockhopper and Hardrock fall? And the Cannondale, does Mavic mtb componentry fall below Shimano LX now.
My sentiments exactly. I was really pleased with this botm criteria as I'd hoped to see more of the bikes that were on my radar as a nipper.
Bit dissapointed as I think the spirit of this has been lost and we're back closer to a usual botm.
That said, there are some great bikes this month, and two Jamis which must be a first :cool:
It's not a stumpjumper; it's a stumpjumper sport. Besides, the stumpjumper was definitely midranged when you look at the bike it was based on, the Ritchey.
I disagree. BITD before suspension bikes hit the line-ups, a Stumpjumper was top of Specialized's range.

Now elitists may not hold that in much regard, but that doesn't make them mid-range.
The Stumpjumper was quite attainable.
Depending on resources, anything is quite attainable.

That doesn't necessarily make something mid-range, though.

I'm far from an elitist.

This is not an 81 stumpjumper; it's a stumpjumper sport from 83 or 84, by that time, there were many a company making mountain bikes. The Stumpjumper was mid-level by that year if not earlier.

read a book, or a web page or two, dude ;)

(I'm kidding with that last remark, thus the wink...don't know, not as fun when you have to spell it out, but sometimes tone is mistaken over the intranet :p )
So the Stumpjumper Sport, then (as stock) - what groupset throughout?

XT, wasn't it - and not just the odd tactical upgrade, but XT throughout. So hardly mid-range equipped then...

Si made my point...thanks Si!

That Dawes is really coming on strong...perhaps I didn't give it enough of a look.

Only two votes for the Klein, (and one of 'ems mine) :LOL:

Not sure why the cold shoulder on such a pretty bike, but I guess I'll survive...would it help if I bogged it in some mud? ;)

Steve

eastcoaststeve":3kdesyva said:

Not sure why the cold shoulder on such a pretty bike, but I guess I'll survive...would it help if I bogged it in some mud? ;)

Steve

:LOL: no worries, Steve...Klein is just held in such high regard in the international community, it's hard to contemplate one as mid-level ;)

dunno what is mid range or not mid range :shock:

but one thing I know ;)

debate among retrobikers is not mid range at all this month - looks quite upper range to me :LOL:

I don't like Marin, but that muirwoods is very clean and nearly won my vote, but in the end I went for the RTS. Probably not the most "mid range" of the entries, but it qualified and it's the bike I'd prefer to own out of the lot. :)

GoldenEraMTB":1mch6p13 said:
eastcoaststeve":1mch6p13 said:

Steve

:LOL: no worries, Steve...Klein is just held in such high regard in the international community, it's hard to contemplate one as mid-level ;)

I understand everyone's take is subjective and votes are cast on emotion, but I find it a bit odd that no one seems to realize how much my Pinnacle and 24pounces Cannondale have in common....both US-made of big aluminum tubes, (Gary just liked brighter colors than the boys on the eastcoast).

....and no one seems to mind that the 'Dale has hubs and pedals that cross the rules laid out by John, :? ...to each his own, just makes me wonder.

sad part for the Klein is it wouldn't stand a chance in a "normal" BOTM....

* not an Adroit or Attitude

* steel Spinner fork

* no XTR, Campy, Mavic gruppo

* no Spins, lol.

and here it is in the only venue where it has a chance to shine, and it gets the elbow because it's perceived to be "too nice ? :roll: "....

eh, no worries....I'm going riding :cool:

Steve

eastcoaststeve":3quvixmu said:
I understand everyone's take is subjective and votes are cast on emotion, but I find it a bit odd that no one seems to realize how much my Pinnacle and 24pounces Cannondale have in common....both US-made of big aluminum tubes, (Gary just liked brighter colors than the boys on the eastcoast).

....and no one seems to mind that the 'Dale has hubs and pedals that cross the rules laid out by John, :? ...to each his own, just makes me wonder.

* steel Spinner fork

* no Spins, lol.

and here it is in the only venue where it has a chance to shine, and it gets the elbow because it's perceived to be "too nice ? :roll: "....

Personally, I have no idea why your entry hasn't met your expectations, or wants, in terms of votes.

I'd just say a few things, though - as I've already mentioned, this was the comment that actually germinated this particular BOTM special edition (TM):-
Jimzano":3quvixmu said:
i have to say though,as much as i adore those bikes,im a bit de-sensitized to the bling,can we have a breakaway type for the non-Klein garage queens,give the little man a chance?
you can have your premier league,we'll go championship,with our Clockworks and Cannondales...whos with me? (by the way,i am not inciting a seperatist riot here!).
Now I know what you wrote previously about your entry and the criteria - which appeared to be more about the selection criteria that John had chosen for the BOTM, rather than what had inspired it and the spirit of the thing.

I don't know whether that has any bearing on how people of voted. I didn't decide to vote in any churlish way - to be honest, I would have probably voted using the same rationale for this BOTM or any other month's BOTM.

eastcoaststeve":115kunv9 said:
GoldenEraMTB":115kunv9 said:
eastcoaststeve":115kunv9 said:

Steve

* steel Spinner fork

* no Spins, lol.

Steve

The reason i didn't vote for the Klein is simply that I don't like the colours! No offence intended, just not to my taste. Some Kleins have amazing paint jobs, but this one for me looks a bit "thrown together". :oops:

Still a nice bike, just not my BOTM. :)

Back