Votes: 2 100.0%
  • OK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
gump":cvyjoqen said:
ok, think of it like this....

you go out without bikes (happens sometimes), meet some guy and find he into olde bikes too. Great!

He asks what bike you have, you say 'GT' - his first thought is 'which one?'..

or..

He asks what bike you have, you say 'Fat Chance' - his first thought is 'cool', then 'which one?'

FACT
Ergo, GT are not cool :D
spot on my friend

when i were a lad GTs were for some reason automatically considered "better" than equivalent specced bikes from other makes, with the exception of kona and cannondale for some reason

gump":1cgyjjat said:

you go out without bikes (happens sometimes), meet some guy and find he into olde bikes too. Great!

or..

He asks what bike you have, you say 'Fat Chance' - his first thought is 'cool', then 'which one?'

FACT

well stated :cool:

doctor-bond":3az4edg9 said:
2VauxVXR8LS3.jpg

.... are all by the same manufacturer. None of them is cool. :D

They may all have the same badge and be part of GM, but same manufacturer is pushing it a little...

Can't comment on the other two but the Holden (above) is definitely not cool - unless you live on the wrong side of the flannelette curtain in which case its "fully sick" (I'm sure there's equivalent in most parts of the world).

That said I'd own the Holden over a GT... ;)

gump":1jnt8ipo said:

or..

FACT
Hmmph

Far from a true test - appealling to enthusiasts isn't cool - how could you get that so wrong?

That's exactly why cars like the M3 and M5 aren't cool.

A true test is what somebody totally uninvolved with, and unknowledgeable about mountain biking would think is cool - which is pretty much the exact same rationale behind TG's cool wall.

GT cool. Just because they are mainstream doesn't make them uncool. I think more people lusted after a Zaskar than nearly any other bike when I was 13. ;)

doctor-bond

Vauxhall Nova not cool......., back in 1990 the Nova GSi and earlier GTE were seen by many teens as being one of the coolest cars on the road. I had a brand new spanking H plate not to dissimilar to this one but in a nice dark silver colour :cool:

civicshowpics002.jpg

Perhaps by being the centre of attention of the Max Power fraternity, with ridiculous body kits (chrome wiper blades !!! aaaargh) and reckless driving habits the Nova's image was a little bit sullied.

By NOT placing GT on the Cool Wall you are effectively saying that Zaskars, Xizangs, Psyclones, Karakorum's, Bravado's, RTS's, LTS's, STS's, Lobo, Avalanche LE's, etc, etc, etc ARE NOT COOL. Sorry people but that just seems nonsensical. For any manufacturer to have such bikes in their line-up and NOT BE COOL makes me question the whole concept of a 'Cool Wall' Possibly certain people may have an instilled Brand Hatred or perhaps the company's domination and financial success in the 90's has made them in some peoples eye's appear common. But that's just it, exclusivity does not make something COOL :(

Why do you think GT was such a dominating force both commercially and competitively. People all around the world purchased these bike's in thousands and thousands. Do you think that when they went to the shop to buy them they thought, 'I want to buy something uncool, or mediocre, I know I'll buy a GT' The low end and mid range models were priced against rival bikes with similar if not better specs, then why did GT sell so many. By being uncool? Don't think so, do you?

Gadro":1r4zrq6v said:
Why do you think GT was such a dominating force both commercially and competitively. People all around the world purchased these bike's in thousands and thousands. Do you think that when they went to the shop to buy them they thought, 'I want to buy something uncool, or mediocre, I know I'll buy a GT' The low end and mid range models were priced against rival bikes with similar if not better specs, then why did GT sell so many. By being uncool? Don't think so, do you?
GTs sold well because they were distinctive and because they were unquestionably* cool.

I have no investment in them as a brand - I never bought one, nor ever owned one, nor am likely to.

The concept of a conversation with another enthusiast over what they think is cool (and by extension, some exclusive or distinctive make being considered cool, whereas GT wouldn't) is tantamount to asking a bunch of Star Trek nerds who was the cooler between Kirk and Picard - it has no relevance or bearing on what the rest of society perceives or cares about.

* for anyone that actually understands the concept

For me Gt were cool because they had nice bikes , which were different , they had some good creativity ( the RTS and LTS are brilliant designs ) and they had some good riders too ( N Vouilloz , Peat , Furtado etc... ) .

I also think Yeti were cool , but for different reasons .

there are different reasons to be cool .

GoldenEraMTB":3b9s3p3s said:
gump":3b9s3p3s said:

or..

FACT

well stated :cool:

yep. 10 4.

I rest my case.

:LOL:

Back