• mike_eb's KHS Montana

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
GoldenEraMTB":3buawya5 said:
Neil":3buawya5 said:
makster":3buawya5 said:
mechagouki":3buawya5 said:
Seems to me people are desperate to vote for something that's not mid-range. I love an old stumpy as much as the next person, but if it's mid-range where do Rockhopper and Hardrock fall? And the Cannondale, does Mavic mtb componentry fall below Shimano LX now.
My sentiments exactly. I was really pleased with this botm criteria as I'd hoped to see more of the bikes that were on my radar as a nipper.
Bit dissapointed as I think the spirit of this has been lost and we're back closer to a usual botm.
That said, there are some great bikes this month, and two Jamis which must be a first :cool:
It's not a stumpjumper; it's a stumpjumper sport. Besides, the stumpjumper was definitely midranged when you look at the bike it was based on, the Ritchey.
I disagree. BITD before suspension bikes hit the line-ups, a Stumpjumper was top of Specialized's range.

Now elitists may not hold that in much regard, but that doesn't make them mid-range.
The Stumpjumper was quite attainable.
Depending on resources, anything is quite attainable.

That doesn't necessarily make something mid-range, though.

I'm far from an elitist.

This is not an 81 stumpjumper; it's a stumpjumper sport from 83 or 84, by that time, there were many a company making mountain bikes. The Stumpjumper was mid-level by that year if not earlier.

read a book, or a web page or two, dude ;)

(I'm kidding with that last remark, thus the wink...don't know, not as fun when you have to spell it out, but sometimes tone is mistaken over the intranet :p )
So the Stumpjumper Sport, then (as stock) - what groupset throughout?

XT, wasn't it - and not just the odd tactical upgrade, but XT throughout. So hardly mid-range equipped then...

I voted for a Spesh! :shock:

It was a tough choice between Doctor-Bond's Fuji and Dr S' Stumpy.
In the end, the Spesh had the cooler 'moose bars and box/bi-plane fork.
(the wheel reflectors don't help, though ;))

Dawes SE for me. When I think 'middle of the road' I associate it with bikes that were just on the limit of what I could afford on a YTS apprentices salery. Of the 4 or 5 that fall into that catagory the Dawes is the nicest/most original. V.nice :D

Hmmm...? An interesting and varied range of bikes this month, some of which I hadn't really considered 'mid-range' before and some of which I still don't.
However, I've thought long and hard and have carefully weighed everything up based my understanding of mid-range. (which I posted up in another thread).

I really like the 83 Stumpy from Dr S but it didn't get my vote because it has XT and I reckon it would still do well in a regular BoTM.
Oneschnark's Progear STX 1995 is also very unusual but not exactly a bike for the masses.
I'm struggling to see how the 'Dale with Mavic hubs can be considered mid-range, but I really, really like it, and I don't think that a Klein can ever be mid-range no matter how dressed down it is.
I also love Senri's 88 Giant.

My favourites are:

• mattbrown's 1993 Kirk Magnesium
    Gonzalez's Muddy Fox Sorcerer Mega
    Easy_Rider's 1994 Dawes SE
    ElCani's Muddy Fox Seeker
    rc200ti's 1991 Kona Cindercone
    AnalogKid's 1991 Raleigh Peak
    Tollers' 1992 Orange Clockwork
    Drystonepaul's 1994 Marin Muirwoods (whoever he is)

Doesn't help me decide what to vote for though... :roll:

2. Jango's DBR. The best 'rider' out of the bunch with out a shadow of a doubt. A very tidy build to boot.

Thanks, that's how I build 'em......a couple of hours after the first pic was taken it looked like this!

I'm still undecided where my vote should fall :?

Attachments

• Vertex3.jpg
    Vertex3.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 409
oldave":31rj12d8 said:
"saddle and frame bags, pumps, dirty and/or mismatched tyres, crappy environments (backyards, basements, streets, etc) and cellphone photos."

Guilty to some at least of those - to my way of thinking IT'S A BIKE and while I won't vote for my own nor would I for any that for all I know never go out!

And, if I'm not mistaken, this is BOTM not POTM ;)

Shouldn't it be about the bike and not the photography skills of the owner?

My bet is there is no theme for botm next month after the 'discussions' this has raised :LOL:
Shame, as its a great idea to expose some of the lower end bikes :cool:

Many compelling entries this month, but it's the earlier and left field stuff which held my attention longest.

Like the 88 Jamis and the Kirk; and the two wheel drive thing is cracking. Going to go with the Giant though. It's all of a piece and fits the brief effortlessly.

I really like the 83 Stumpy from Dr S but it didn't get my vote because it has XT

Where??

So the Stumpjumper Sport, then (as stock) - what groupset throughout?

XT, wasn't it - and not just the odd tactical upgrade, but XT throughout. So hardly mid-range equipped then......

Again, where is the XT?? :roll:

Interesting debate surrounding the Stumpy. For the record it is completely factory stock (bar the tyres) and does not have any Shimano XT parts whatsoever. Mechs and shifters are Suntour Mountech and cranks are Sugino. Very much mid range fare. Please see the thread in readers bikes for more information. When you look at what else was available in 82/83 you will find that Stumpies were very much middle of the road, affordable bikes.

3975931091_9ab253f27b_o.jpg

3976692850_ff96b9d5a6_o.jpg

3975931299_64ebbd2b7e_o.jpg

Cheers
Si

Back