• Cool

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • OK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tallpaul":374h7tfr said:
Sorry, but if thinking GT's are cool aligns me to Neil's non-sensical opinion then I want to change my vote.
Hey, you can malign it all you want - it may not sit nice, but those are the rules - I didn't make them, don't shoot the messenger - I'm just laying them out, much as I found them.

Most people, in this thread, are conflating cool, with the bikes they like. That's not how it works. Some times it grates, sometimes it irks, but it's how a DB9 can fall from grace, and how a fine car like an M3 can be uncool. It's just how it works.

jez-4-bikes-max":15utk471 said:
Now - Yeti as a brand is cool. We all know this.

We know Fat as a brand is/was cool.

Pace? Yes, pretty cool.

But GT? :shock: Come on people put your sensible hats back on...

;) :D

IMHO Yeti as a brand is not cool, expensive and exclusive does not make something cool. Yeti as a brand are beautifully made (sometimes) and historically important but NOT COOL. Fat are they cool, maybe. I agree PACE are cool but this may be down to simply the Britishness of the brand in an American dominated market

Is Ferrari Cool. Do you think being dressed head to toe in Ferrari gear makes you look cool. Answer = Nope you will look like a twat. They are however pinnacles of automotive engineering and excellence so why do you end up looking like a twat?

Is a BMW 5 Series or even a M3 Cool - nope. Excellent car though with top notch dealer services

Alfa Romeo - Cool - Damn right, BUT unreliable and even worse dealers (I know as I've owned 2 of them)

Aesthetic Cool cannot be manufactured it has nothing to do with Exclusivity or Expense. GT's are cool, they were the dogs balls back in 1982 when I had to make do with a Team Murray but lusted after a GT Pro. They remained the dogs balls in the early 90's when Xizangs, Psyclones and Zaskars were lusted after at many LBS. Often being caressed by hundreds of teenage hands every week, dreaming of somehow persuading Mam or Dad to buy them one for Xmas. The Coolness continued with the RTS and LTS and even the STS's later on. I agree they lost the plot after that BUT by owning ANY GT when such bikes were at their height was COOL. The Brand name GT in itself oozed COOL. Turner and Long are legends, Ray, Carter and our own Peaty have been part of the Team. Whats not cool about that??

This is Retrobike, and anyone who can say that GT's weren't cool during these times is imply IMHO on another planet.

So now Yeti,the small builder with the low budget race team(that groomed several stars)is uncool but GT,the mass built manufacturer with the corporate race team is cool? Hmmm

ok, think of it like this....

you go out without bikes (happens sometimes), meet some guy and find he into olde bikes too. Great!

He asks what bike you have, you say 'GT' - his first thought is 'which one?'..

or..

He asks what bike you have, you say 'Fat Chance' - his first thought is 'cool', then 'which one?'

FACT
Ergo, GT are not cool :D

MJN":2kgluq1k said:
So now Yeti,the small builder with the low budget race team(that groomed several stars)is uncool but GT,the mass built manufacturer with the corporate race team is cool? Hmmm

I knew you'd see reason ;)

Those that are arguing that cool is elusive & more than just good, exclusive or expensive are right. But once you have worked this out, you have to know how to apply it: it's a matter of good judgement, a lack of which is sadly all too apparent.

And GTs? While it's hard to judge a whole brand, it's by no means impossible.

This:

vauxhall%20nova%20side%20skirts%20abs.jpg

this:

andycav5.JPG

even this:

2VauxVXR8LS3.jpg

.... are all by the same manufacturer. None of them is cool. :D

Hmmm.

Whats cool to me (other than orange's...)

Isnt the high end mega money BITD yeti and fat chance's of this world, its the regular stuff that just had a bit of 'thing' about it.

None of us (my riding mates BITD) ever wanted a trek URT FS or Kona manomano, but we all wanted an rts/lts/sts. Likewise, trek zx alu or zaskar? Zaskar every time. Feel free to disagree, but I think GT's are cool.

Back