Ibis Mojo '95 - update 16-07-2014

That looks really nice, although I think I much prefer the black Contis in the first photo.

How does it ride with the long stem?

andrewl":1alz21ct said:
How does it ride with the long stem?

I prefer a 'long' stem on a ride like this. As you can see in my gallery, this bike's first set up was with a Ritchey fork which was quit short (395mm). That made the head tube angle steep, so it handles nervous and quick. Back than I had a 145mm stem to make the handling not to nervous and keep the weight distrubution not to much on the back wheel.
Now I build it up with a M3 which is 405mm (without me on it) to keep it steep. I couldn't find a Ibis Ti of 140 (what I prefer), so it became a 150mm. I didn't ride it much yet, but I think it's OK. I like an XC bike to respond fast, swift and nimble so again with not all the weight on the back wheel so the front has loads of grip... and it does feel like that now. Though I didn't ride it on steep down hill courses yet.... But hey... I think I'm pretty good at steering down a track, so this will be fine. I have to admit that since I'm also aging my dare devil capacities are going the other way than my age does... Don't know how that works yet... Have to figur out how to improve that unbalance... Any ideas maybe ?

Oh yeah, about the tires... I'm not sure yet. The black look great, but weren't age-corrrect.. Maybe I have to get used to the Panaracers. Though, when I walked in just a few minutes ago, I had the idea I'm beginning to like the visual effect of 'm.. :D

nporternz":133ao4l0 said:
i like but its always a shame to see these bikes with the rear hanger not being used

Totally agree ont that !! :D

I have some sets of canti's on their way so I can use the handjob as it's supposed to...

Though, not sure which to go for: The Joe's (different front and back) and some Paul Stoplights...

What do you think is best ?

Mine will be green (after some re-anodazation), but here are some pic's of what they look...

Right now, I have the idea to go for the Joe's, but not decided yet as there is quit a lot of Paul on the bike already... :roll:

Feel free to give me your opinion...

Attachments

• Joe front.jpg
    Joe front.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 6,410
  • Joe rear.jpg
    Joe rear.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 6,410
  • Paul stoplight.jpg
    Paul stoplight.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 6,410
Beautiful looking bike. I agree with previous comments about the blue on the forks clashing with the green ano though.
The rigids would look very nice I reckon.

great bike

for me it would be the Joe's

slight preferance for black tyres

I do not view the Manitou as an aestheticly distubing factor and you will have a hard time finding a fork with similar quality looks/appeal. Judys fall short imo. The Ti issue by Rond maybe? Go find one :LOL:

drystonepaul":bakuyqcr said:
The rigids would look very nice I reckon.

Have a look http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=63965 to see how it was when build up new... as the end of the 'orange-era' there were lots of Tune parts on it and was a bit lighter than pictured..:D

Elev12k":bakuyqcr said:
for me it would be the Joe's

:D :D

Elev12k":bakuyqcr said:
I do not view the Manitou as an aestheticly distubing factor and you will have a hard time finding a fork with similar quality looks/appeal. Judys fall short imo. The Ti issue by Rond maybe? Go find one :LOL:

I also think the Judy's don't have the appeal of a Manitou. I like the CNC job on the Manitous. That's why I'm thinking of an EFC, but also these are not easy to find if you're looking for NOS-looks..

Don't know the Rond Ti issue..., but would like to make it an all USA build and the Rond is Dutch... OK, I'm Dutch also, so should take a look for one.. :?

Maybe the Judy FSX is an option...(?) Anybody knows which year they came ? I thought is was '96, but not sure about it..

Yes, EFC came up in my mind too, but than there will be little red and yellow in the equation, so maybe that won't bring you much further. At least of the blue you could say it kinda comes back in the frame.

I find the Titanium Pro by Rond in 1994 BIKE Workshop. I do not know what exactly is ti, but I think the stancions and probably some hardware and maybe steerer. Weight saving was 300gram and fork weighted little over 1100gram. It has a satin finish and decals are all black. Of course machined everything.

I think the FSX was introduced in 1995/96, but maybe Mombat timeline can inform you exactly on that. For some kid of reason these carbon (wrapped?) forks do not really say old school to me and I think they belong in a Specialized in the 1st place.

Elev12k":2nfwdeec said:
For some kid of reason these carbon (wrapped?) forks do not really say old school to me and I think they belong in a Specialized in the 1st place.

...you read my mind... how do you do that... :D :shock:

The M3 that's in it now look OK with the rest of the build IMO, but it doesn't dampen that well. I put in an Englund cartridge, but turned out to be a poor design. A few days back there was an oil bath near to my front tire.. I think the oil came out of the damper and the springyness is back in the M3... :(

That make an EFC a nice option, I think. But I agree on the color match... There's no red and yellow in the bike now.

Maybe an M4 will be an option and than look for some upgrade kit to control the damping...?

Back