853 IF Deluxe US$300

mvd1974":pvh2o39l said:
My '95 17" Tangé Prestige custom drawn Moron tubed Ibis weighs in at 3.9lbs
On the other hand: My '01 Ibis Mojo (Deda tubes) weighs 4.3lbs
Most of the time the chainstays are not the same material and S-bend ones are havier... There can also be a lot of weight in the BB shell and head tube.
BITD Vertigo made steel frames that were just 3lbs...
...and I didn't mention the Reynolds 953 tube set yet.
Light doesn't mean the same as good. A frame should have as much metal as it needs to handle the weight and riding style of the rider, compounded by the amount of travel in the fork, no more and no less than that.

Your 2001 Ibis is beautiful, have you shown us the 95 one yet? I thought the Moron tag for the tubeset was a jokey reference to the custom Tange Prestige tubing with thicker butts (more on the ends...), so I'm surprised if it was ultra light.

A 3lbs steel frame might be ok for a road frame, but it would be too weak and too flexy to be good for mtb. Stainless steel such as 953 is very strong, and thus can yield the strength and stiffness required for mtb at a lighter weight than any other steel. However it's very expensive, very difficult to work, and the wall thicknesses are so narrow that it's very easy to dent it. Some builders advise against using it for mtb frames.

Anthony":1u2cublr said:
Your 2001 Ibis is beautiful, have you shown us the 95 one yet? I thought the Moron tag for the tubeset was a jokey reference to the custom Tange Prestige tubing with thicker butts (more on the ends...), so I'm surprised if it was ultra light.

A 3lbs steel frame might be ok for a road frame, but it would be too weak and too flexy to be good for mtb. Stainless steel such as 953 is very strong, and thus can yield the strength and stiffness required for mtb at a lighter weight than any other steel. However it's very expensive, very difficult to work, and the wall thicknesses are so narrow that it's very easy to dent it. Some builders advise against using it for mtb frames.

You're right about Moron meaning More On the Ends. I'm told the wall thickness is 0.5 in the middle and 1.0 at the ends. Normal Prestige (BITD) was 0.6 in the middle and 0.9 at the ends. I can't measure the thickness on the ends and didn't measure the thickness in the middle (as it's possible though).

And you're right about the weight of a frame, I think. I can imagine that a super lightweight steel frame will be to flexy and breaks. Perhaps that's why I only saw the Vertigo's at the presentation.

Where did you see my 2001 Mojo ? In the link in my profile you'll only find my '95 (custom respray + hand job and V-brakes :oops: that have to make place for canti's soon..). I'll post my 2001 Mojo tomorrow if I don't forget. Just look in the >98 bikes if you're interested...

I think Baum bicycles builds MTB's with 953 and I had contact with IF about a year and a half ago. They were working on a MTB with 953 by that time, but they didn't make the 'deadline' of fall 2008 they gave me... :(

But...uh...back to the IF for sale...:
It's a beautiful frame I think. Would love to see the end result if someone buys it.. Maybe a repray ?
The price seems fare to me, but for now I'm looking for my first big tube alu, so I'll skip on this.. :D :D

mvd1974":1ydf6txy said:
It's a beautiful frame I think. Would love to see the end result if someone buys it.. Maybe a repray ?

No respray :cool: Everytime I respray a bike I end up never riding the damn thing and selling it!!! :LOL:

kingroon":30rk3ui5 said:
mvd1974":30rk3ui5 said:

No respray :cool: Everytime I respray a bike I end up never riding the damn thing and selling it!!! :LOL:

:LOL: just ride it! They are not for collecting yet, but are great fun to ride :D

GoldenEraMTB":2nu7jgs4 said:
:LOL: just ride it! They are not for collecting yet, but are great fun to ride :D

Yeah! :cool: Just wanna stick it together and throw it around the trails at Xmas :twisted:

Back