Marin Muirwoods 1989 REBUILD!, sunglasses recommended.

have no other option than a U brake, as it was retro with a few modernish twists and coz i got it for £5 when the RRP is 40-45,

i have gone with the diacompe AD 999

You're doing good work on this ! I wasn't expecting a Muirwoods to be so interesting but this looks better than the original. For a start the cranks on the original were those horrid solid steel covered in black plastic things. Shimano 200gs or something ? Looks like you've got a tange fork too which looks a bit more solid than the original.

On the yellow thing, IMHO the rims looks fine. They looks almost bronze coloured in the pics. The grips clash though. I'd go for black. Otherwise it looks the nuts. Bikes of this period had a certain look ...and yours has got it even if its not perfectly original. I thinks its the combination of black parts (particularly chainrings and seatpost) with bright coloured frames. Reminds me a little of the yellow and also blue saracen tufftrax of this era.

Keep up the good work :)

I'm in the process of building a singlespeed based on one just the same as yours. I'm planning to go with a black and white colour scheme for simplicity. I threw the seat post away as it was so far gone, couldn't read any markings and forgot to measure it! So can you tell me what size post it takes, please?
Looking good by the way!
Also, if you're not going to use the graphics you got from gil, would you like to sell them to me?

marin rebuild

good stuff!
that two tone thing works well with me,a marin thing.
isnt it good when you do it all from scratch so you know the bike
inside out!? any fine tuning is easier and any faults found quicker.
nice one. :)

sorry for delay

Thanks folks,

sorry for the delay in responding but the thread has decided to stop alerting me to new posts,

I am seriousley considering going back to the original stem, but i really prefer the look of the ahead system over quill, dont know why, and with the converter it doesnt look to bad. also the bars that would match the colour on the bay from a Yeti are already at silly money

Not going for splatter either,lol I'm even worried about mud splatter at the moment, but need to get over that for the twizzler.

knobby the seat post is 26.2, and i have found can be a bit of a problem to find, i have a KF silver one, in semi decent condition if you are interested.
Have now swapped to black porcipaws.

and i dont have the decals from Gil yet, he has done some but he couldnt do seat tube stickers at the time so i looked elsewhere which was a waste of time, have gone grovelling back to Gil, and waiting for a response so fingers crossed

oh have new wheels on order also
black and silver, and hopeully will do a little bit more on her this weekend, setting up cables and gears and brakes and things

charlieboy

Back