BoTM Novemember 09 Nominations - Mid Range Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

If it's not to late - here's my entry...

OrangeP74.jpg

OrangeP72.jpg

Bike is pretty much LX, avid levers, Ritchey hubs, STX Crankset etc...

Ringo

John":3cv7eja5 said:
Going to get this up in the next day or so. Be warned.

Are you planning a cull of the entries that dont meet the LX and below/mid-range criteria or are you going to just let us fight it out between us? :LOL:

Neil":1f6dng4l said:
GoldenEraMTB":1f6dng4l said:
bikepedia is not the most accurate site, but it was an easy find:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

all LX for around $1200...definitely mid-range, especially when compared to upper Kleins.
Maybe mid-range for a Klein, but most definitely not a mid-range bike compared to the entire range of MTBs.

Boutique bikes are not mid range. Klein bikes are not mid-range - there's no sense arguing with that, I've ruled and it stands, no take backs...

Over the years, I've read countless group tests of mid-range bikes - and a Klein never featured in any that I can recall.

Entry level MTBs were considered to start around the £300 mark. Anything approaching £1000 was high-end (whether or not you could spend thousands on MTBs, the masses didn't).

So mid range was clearly about the £500 mark - perhaps going up to £700 tops.

As I've said before, bike mags never struggled to categorise bikes as mid-range when testing bikes together, so neither should we - and it wasn't higher-end exotica, dressed-down - it was mid-range in most of the production bike line-ups. Which was typically around 500-600 pounds.

Trying to place boutique bikes at the bottom of their particular range, as general mid-range bikes, is most certainly detracting from the spirit of what a mid-range BOTM should be about, IMNSHO.

so you'd say a low-end Ferrari isn't a mid level car??? ;)

stauqmuk":2m6wzez8 said:
Oh and I almost forgot here's my entry... an all original 1998 Amp B4. Full LX group aside from the brake calipers and front hub (Amp D1 discs).

that alpinestar logo needs to go! :evil:

Totally agree. It came that way when I picked it up off the bay and Its kinda hilarious so I left it. I took it off this afternoon but now there's a sticky residue. If I can get it to not show in the pic I'll replace tho ones that are up.

RockiMtn":1envxq2v said:
Neil":1envxq2v said:
GoldenEraMTB":1envxq2v said:
bikepedia is not the most accurate site, but it was an easy find:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

all LX for around $1200...definitely mid-range, especially when compared to upper Kleins.
Maybe mid-range for a Klein, but most definitely not a mid-range bike compared to the entire range of MTBs.

Boutique bikes are not mid range. Klein bikes are not mid-range - there's no sense arguing with that, I've ruled and it stands, no take backs...

Over the years, I've read countless group tests of mid-range bikes - and a Klein never featured in any that I can recall.

Entry level MTBs were considered to start around the £300 mark. Anything approaching £1000 was high-end (whether or not you could spend thousands on MTBs, the masses didn't).

So mid range was clearly about the £500 mark - perhaps going up to £700 tops.

As I've said before, bike mags never struggled to categorise bikes as mid-range when testing bikes together, so neither should we - and it wasn't higher-end exotica, dressed-down - it was mid-range in most of the production bike line-ups. Which was typically around 500-600 pounds.

Trying to place boutique bikes at the bottom of their particular range, as general mid-range bikes, is most certainly detracting from the spirit of what a mid-range BOTM should be about, IMNSHO.

so you'd say a low-end Ferrari isn't a mid level car??? ;)

did someone say mid-level/low-end ferrari?

a V8 308GTB
ferrar_308_gts.jpg

or

a 400i
SNB11920.jpg

SNB11922.jpg

total crap :p ;)

makster":1skfx2tp said:
John":1skfx2tp said:

Are you planning a cull of the entries that dont meet the LX and below/mid-range criteria or are you going to just let us fight it out between us? :LOL:

Any DX+ will not be entered.

Pickle":giczcgrl said:
makster":giczcgrl said:
John":giczcgrl said:

Any DX+ will not be entered.

So is that DX and above?? May re-submit the Overbury's ;)

Just for laughs my grey, yellow and rust splatter KHS Montana. (Anyone have an idea on the year)?

Tange triple butted frame.
Wicked Awesome stem
STX RC front hub
LX Cranks
LX Pedals
Exage rear hub
Tektro U brake
Exage brake levers
Alivio Cantilevers

Macs great white.

Attachments

• 19-11-09_1352.jpg