'95 FSR WIP - slightly more interesting...

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
The first of two under 'development' at Kawasaki Towers - this one hopes to be as light as I can make it for an XC version, but the heavy rear end may well call for a heavy front shock to balance the ride, we'll just have to compare when the FSXs are slipped on. I also have three Alps rear shocks to try - all with different stroke lengths. I reckon this is the standard issue (a 4) but I have a 4R and a 5R to experiment with too. Could be a long day on the hill with a clipboard...

Neil

Attachments

• FSR2.jpg
    FSR2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 3,447
My 16" 95 S-Works FSR weighs in at an even 23lbs. You should have no problem getting yours plenty light. ;)

Hey Neil,

The shock in the bike in the pic is definitely not the right one. I'd say it's at least 15mm too long.

The correct shock would produce a head angle of ~71 deg. and a B/B height ~12.5".

... unless the angle the bike's been photographed on has produced an optical illusion...

The original shock length for that model year was ~5.625 inches eye to eye, and yours looks original to me.

If ever you're looking to upgrade from the original you can grab a take-off Fox or DT from a Scalpel and gain lockout/remote. The shock length of the stock Scalpel shock is ~5.5 inches e2e and it has worked splendidly on my '95 FSR.

WIP

I really don't think my ass can tell the difference between the lengths of shock I have - whilst it looks quite pert in the photo, the sag I run makes the chainstays parallel to the ground anyways.

The DHs on the XC FSR (pictured) are now heading for the increasingly rastafied RTS-1 (having finally given up on the Mag 20/21 idea), with the FSXs making their way to the front end once I can source some Judy top caps.

My other DHO FSR is at BETD/Goldtec to have the rear plates 'tuned' - we're making a one piece unit to negate any flex through the myriad bar linkages. Hoping to install a HOPE C2 front disc and a suitably period 20mm hub (got an AC on the way from HK) on some sunset rims.

Still searching for a Spesh Team grey saddle - anyone??

Neil

That looks really nice! I love the fact that you have gone for the period correct Umma Gumma stuff too.

Try finding a pair of grey Umma Gumma grips... I tell thee - difficult as hell!!

idiot

i had one of those and sold it a couple of years back before i got into this whole retro scene. wot an idiot! luckily i sold it to a friend hmmm now where is his fone number ;)

Back