Cool Wall - GT Bicycles

• Cool

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • OK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I also think it's cool that those who love GT all seem to do so for a slightly different reason, testament to the great range of bikes they made over many years - truly they made something good that appealed to everyone; alloy, steel, titanium, hell even the plastic ones seem to have their fans!

I think GT owners should be allowed one vote per GT bike that they own.

Saying the lower-end bikes aren't cool is silly, componentry and weight aside an early timberline isn't that much different to an early Psyclone, plenty of love around for Panteras, Karakorams, even Taleras, what makes them cool is the image, the flashy paint and decals, the in your face brashness of them. look at 1990s TREKs - boring, 1990s Specialized - boring.

cherrybomb, I hope you didn't really vote 'uncool', cause you have (IMHO) one of the coolest GTs ever.

GoldenEra, you want one don't you? Don't be afraid to admit it, something like a Bravado would sit well with your NYC standards of cool - subtle, know what I'm saying?

Re: gt cool ?

Ransetsu":z5dbp13o said:
Halfords sell them - nuff said !

Halfords also sell Voodoo and (whisper it)... Kona. Nuff said?

If Kona's cool then so's GT. To say that they aren't cool because of the modern range is rubbish. Most modern Kona's are pretty nasty to my eyes - for example all their full suss bikes (ever) are rancid. And don't tell me you'd be drooling over a low end Kona these days...

I haven't owned/ridden MANY different kinds of mtn bikes, but overall I think GT bikes 88-95ish are cool. GT as a brand now? meh, not so cool.

My '91 Zaskar is cool.... my '94 Karakoram is a great ride, but hesitate calling it 'cool'.

mechagouki":tt5bh56j said:
GoldenEra, you want one don't you? Don't be afraid to admit it, something like a Bravado would sit well with your NYC standards of cool - subtle, know what I'm saying?

Try prodding him a wee bit more ;) maybe throw a few questions at him, see if any Ricochet back.

THERMOPlastic is very nice even if it does break. People seem to be getting too much out of Halfords and the demise of GT when they were sold. How can a manufacturer that produced bikes like this not get on the cool wall. Lets not forget how much of a force the GT Teams were and how impactive when first introduced these Full Suspension designs were on the circuit. Perhaps GT's failing were in producing affordable bikes for wannabe world champions. Perhaps if the production line up had been more condensed the brand more exclusive then people would be thinking differently.

And as for the Triple Triangle Design, OK we've all read the reasoning behind it. some may laugh and say nonsense. But if you put a a line up of non decaled HT bikes up against the wall, the GT would be spotted a mile off. Thats what you call branding and product identity, something some of the other makes can sometimes lack.

This is Retrobike a la Old Bikes let's not forget GT and forget about Schwinn and Halfords......cough Klein and Trek spring to mind

Cherrybomb like you're way of thinking there being UNCOOL is COOL

Chris why on earth did you sell this??

sts-1-1-1.jpg

Cherrybomb like you're way of thinking there being UNCOOL is COOL

mechagouki":2xka063e said:

kaiser":2xka063e said:
mechagouki":2xka063e said:

Try prodding him a wee bit more ;) maybe throw a few questions at him, see if any Ricochet back.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ah, klaus, I see what you did there ;)

look, I've owned a few GTs over the years, from the lowly Ricochet, to th even lower end Agressor (traded the aggressor back in to the same bike shop one week after buying it for a mongoose hilltopper sx), to a couple Zaskars, reg and LE....oh yeah, and an Avalanche. I've also been in talks with a couple members here to land a Psyclone frame.

That said, they are good, if not great bikes, and I have yet to ride xizang or psyclone, but overall, imo, they should not make the cool wall, if the cool wall is going to be a bit exclusive.

I no longer own one, as I've tried to make my collection more cool :p

GoldenEraMTB":oyp1xkmk said:
..................That said, they are good, if not great bikes, and I have yet to ride xizang or psyclone, but overall, imo, they should not make the cool wall, if the cool wall is going to be a bit exclusive.

I no longer own one, as I've tried to make my collection more cool :p

As Master Yoda would say 'exclusive makes one cool does not'

IMHO exclusivity is not the Retrobike way. It's simply the love of old bikes and for me it is trying to attain what was unattainable in my youth. This meant anything over £300. That's what attracted me here and not to 'other' sites. Perhaps it also part of me wishing to recapture my youth as I am starting to get OLD

The whole thing with the cool wallfor me is exclusivity isn’t cool.

Being cool is what it’s about regardless of how attainable. If something is so unobtainable due to price or rarity it can be pretentious and there fore very uncool.

ferrit":22vfjy1h said:
The whole thing with the cool wallfor me is exclusivity isn’t cool.

Being cool is what it’s about regardless of how attainable. If something is so unobtainable due to price or rarity it can be pretentious and there fore very uncool.
Kudos - there speaks somebody who gets what cool is about - it's not about exclusivity, excellence or anything like that. In fact some of the things that are truly excellent, would be truly uncool.

Back