Blackmount/Glen Etive - Sat24/Sun25 APRIL AFTERMAaaa.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know whether to start a new topic, or put this in general chat, or just buy some cheap shite from Argos :?

zigzag":1ep12yrk said:
Didn't know whether to start a new topic, or put this in general chat, or just buy some cheap shite from Argos :?

no argos shite- good sleeping bag is a must, mind you i've noy got one so i bring 2 shite ones which = 1 not bad one :LOL:

zigzag":26hm48r1 said:

A good bag will be a good investment whatever your doing. Tent side of things depends what you think your going to do.

I went the argos/aldi/halfords/ebay route with my car gear, and its more than suitable.

zigzag":sulemuse said:
..... just buy some cheap shite from Argos :?

Never Ever Do This :shock:

You wouldn't buy a bike from them - you know why.....and their camping gear is equally impressive :roll:

What you need all depends on size of party and weather in which you'll be using it. A bit extra space is handy - but you have to carry it

Bivvy :cool: Did that at over 3,000ft above Glen Shiel a couple of years ago, summer mind. Magic :cool:

Haven't had time to play with maps today but will try to post up possible route manyana, with variations .

Bivvy is good, best tent i have is a bivvy, 3 layer gortex with a supporting loop over the head end. Excellent for light touring and thus off road touring.

What about a full on bivvy tent wild camping trip, even more adventurous than a bothy trip in the summer :D

clockworkgazz":3dsh05nk said:
I would prefer the 4 walls, roof and fire set up.

TBH I share that view. Like bivvying when walk/scrambling but not sure it would be pleasant after a hard day cycling through the driving rain/sleet :?

Maybe, one day, just to try.........but i just hate carrying luggage on a bike ;)

Route Map :cool:

Dark red line marks the way.....
Nothing technical, mix of undulating LR track, footpath and some tarmac. Small amout of walking 1 mile (?) if boggy. Still need to check N end of L Etive and boat availability (no scheduled ferry, but there are boat operators based there). Exposed to weather, especially on final leg plus a couple of river crossings ;)
Around the 75 mile mark in total as shown.

etivemap.jpg

1 - start/finish Bridge of Orchy. Hotel, bunkhouse, basic free camping all within 50metres of each other. Could stay over before/after trip if you want. Approx 4/5 miles on single track road to..........

2 - Victoria Bridge, Blackmount Estate. Join part of WHW track, 12 miles to........

3 - Kingshouse Hotel, Glencoe. Good beer and food. Then approx 15miles along another singletrack road, tarmac, to........

4 - road end at top of Loch Etive. 12 miles along footpath/Landrover track to.......

5 - Cadderlie Bothy :cool: Stop. :xmas-cool: Then approx 3/4 miles to.......

6 - Bonawe Quarry. Get boat (TBA) to ....

7 - Taynuilt Pier. Cycle LR track/footpath to Armaddy, through Glen Kinglass and back to BofO - approx 30miles :cool: :cool: R&R :D

.....That's the plan anyway :twisted:

"Glen Orchy" OS map, sheet 50 shows most of route. Gln Etive "road" section on Ben Nevis sheet 41.

There are bad weather/shorter alternatives, but difficult to combine this with the bothy. Wildish camping permitted near both BofO and Kingshouse Hotels if that helps.......

Over to youse rabble........ :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back