RETROBIKE ROAD RIDE - Would anyone be interested?

sinnett177":3hdy2uy1 said:
Old Ned":3hdy2uy1 said:
I could be up for a Cheshire ride but if we're talking time trials why not consider the Planet X 'Old Skool' events next year. Several of them around the country through the year. I'd be happy to guide people into the entry methods etc. if you've never done it before.

I think 30 miles is to long for an initial TT - it's further than you think if you're not used to it! 10 miles would be better.
That sounds idea Old Ned, glad you've shown an interest in this. Was kind of hoping you would ;)

Still think a more of a casual approach might be better. i.e. we meet up have a laugh, admire bikes and have a nice sociable ride with regular stops. aka Peaks style but on the road.

Thought I'd keep you in suspenders for a while ;)

I agree about the type of ride, make it more of a casual affair - in a not-to-hilly area with plenty of quiet lanes, nice cafes and sunshine :D

sinnett177":uiwph1lg said:
Thats the spirit old boy. Do you know anywhere suitable?

As a matter of fact I do! The area east of Pontefract, south (and possibly a bit North as well) of the M62 and down to Askern is ideal with cafes in Askern, Womersley, Carlton (by Snaith) and a network of quiet well surfaced roads. Used a lot by local groups and riders. Look up Darrington, Womersley, Kirk Smeaton etc. on a map and you'll see what I mean.

Most of my road riding is in this area these days. Easy to get to from the M62, A19 and A1. It may be possible to book a local village hall for a meeting place.

Old Ned":3owdyotk said:
sinnett177":3owdyotk said:

As a matter of fact I do! The area east of Pontefract, south (and possibly a bit North as well) of the M62 and down to Askern is ideal with cafes in Askern, Womersley, Carlton (by Snaith) and a network of quiet well surfaced roads. Used a lot by local groups and riders. Look up Darrington, Womersley, Kirk Smeaton etc. on a map and you'll see what I mean.

Most of my road riding is in this area these days. Easy to get to from the M62, A19 and A1. It may be possible to book a local village hall for a meeting place.
Personally I think that is ideal. Maybe not for all, but to get the Retro Bike Road scene on it's feet, perfect.

Does this sound like a plan to those who've expressed an interest?

By the way Mark - do you actually have a road bike at the moment? I thought you'd sold the one you had - or are you looking to borrow one?

sinnett177":1zbaymv3 said:
Old Ned":1zbaymv3 said:
sinnett177":1zbaymv3 said:

Personally I think that is ideal. Maybe not for all, but to get the Retro Bike Road scene on it's feet, perfect.

Does this sound like a plan to those who've expressed an interest?

Aye, pencil me in. I work every other weekend so here's hoping it's a suitable date.

The early 80's Cinelli is still in the box (slacker :oops: ) so it'll have to be the Gios.

I'll make some enquiries about village halls. Bygone Bykes CC use Pollington for their annual AGM so that's a possibility.

Will the forum fund the rental or will we need to have a whip round?

Date is also to be settled and Saturday or Sunday?. I would suggest next Spring sometime to give the sun a chance to warm up the roads for us. I'll need to check the early season TT calendar which won't be available for a while yet though!

Old Ned":3s2xcle2 said:
By the way Mark - do you actually have a road bike at the moment? I thought you'd sold the one you had - or are you looking to borrow one?
Must admit I have no traditional road bike, but instead I have my alpinestars geared up as a hybrid/commuter with 1" tyres. These roadie types don't know whats hit them when I blast past on the A6 on route to work!

Old Ned":32jlx1bv said:
I'll make some enquiries about village halls. Bygone Bykes CC use Pollington for their annual AGM so that's a possibility.

Will the forum fund the rental or will we need to have a whip round?

Date is also to be settled and Saturday or Sunday?. I would suggest next Spring sometime to give the sun a chance to warm up the roads for us. I'll need to check the early season TT calendar which won't be available for a while yet though!
Not sure we need a village hall, but if we did a whip round might be necessary, you know what we are like a car park would suffice. Agree with spring time, will give a few an opportunity to blow some cob webs away.

Back