1930? malvern star track.grass racer.

a.davis12

Old School Hero
Restoring this for my dad, he just wants a bike he can cruise around on with my mum. He wanted a pashley, but thought a project would be cooler (and less expensive). It won;t be a full resto, the wheels are an odd size, so they are going to be binned and replaced with somethning more modern and servicable.

I got a bit over excited and forgot to take pictures of the bike complete, so heres a couple from the seller.
dscf2049.jpg

dscf2052.jpg

dissasembled:

CIMG5068.jpg

CIMG5071.jpg

the stuff. all of it came off without a hitch.
CIMG5084.jpg

Cranks and stem (and seat post) need a rechrome, but otherwise in great nick, no nicks or dents or anything.
CIMG5086.jpg

CIMG5087.jpg

english made BB lug, threads in it are standard british thread and in great condition.
CIMG5089.jpg

Cool machine, that looks pretty original.
Components appear to be pretty standard British Fare (Williams? cranks), if it were me and if rust is not a problem I would just give it a few coats of satin varnish to protect the finish as I bet transfers are a bit thin on the ground, unless you know a source in Australia?

a bit of spit and polish even the chrome should come up a bit, just my opinion.

I hope that you are going to paint in the stars and do the headbadge transfer again. The stars in the lugs are wonderful character!

Yeah, you've gotta paint in all the details and transfers and stuff!

Part of me thinks you should've left it alone, but then again, I'm a fan of the rat look stuff :)

yeah, stars are being done, the frame is definitely not completely finished.

i thought about leaving it alone, but whats the point in a bike that cant be ridden?
(the wheels were gone, and were some obscure early 20th century size so replacement tyres would be impossible to find. if not cleaned up i have no doubt the frame would have perished, + my dad is riding this, and having just wrecked his achilles i don't think a coaster brake would have bode well with him...and prior to originally thought, not much is original, the seat is a much more recent cheapy, cranks do not match etc)

Yeah I agree about getting it sorted mechanically. I meant the paintwork - a clearcoat with a matting agent over the rust would've kept it looking all old and ratty, but with no rust. Can of framesaver on the inside and you're away.

It does look good in black, too, though, especially with the tyres.

Is that paint or powdercoat?

thats realy nice... very clean build... i dont often come over the road bike section, but as my build is getting near to a start, this is great inspiration... :D

Back