Marked carbon bars

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Posted this on stw but may as well stick it here.

Carbon bars on my good bike are marked (more than cosmetically) where the crappy lightweight stem I was running clamped them. Guess they are bin fodder :cry:

have the same problem with some titanium bars ,
the stem dug into the bar dead centre
never know if they will fail ?

I file all the sharp edges off bars, shifters, stem, tiny small radius curve to try & prevent this very thing.

sometimes it can be the stems fault. the old control techs were very popular, yet the bar clamp section of the stem was normally welded at an angle to the main stem extension, or as curly told me "on the piss". what this means is that the right side of the bar was 5mm lower than the left side.... tho pace bars were always sh,te & bound to snap sooner or later anyway ;)

would be nervy on the bars, though could be used with a Thomson or something with a wider clamp over damaged area if not major?

Glad its not just me being anal too, scant. File everything down before fitting :D

easton ea30 bars are cheap enuff. replace em time to time on bikes you ride a lot. doesnt matter on garage queens :)

anal yeh.. but kinda shame companys dont do this anyway..

I know. Disapointing when you spend a fortune on components and they are finished rough as hell :twisted:
Wasn't sure if it was just me being OTT

Back