1994 Kona Cinder Cone Project.

Martin m

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is my 1994 Kona Cinder Cone project.

Cindercone.jpg

Spec at present time as follows:

Frame: Kona Cinder Cone 19" 1994.

Fork: Kona Project Two.

Headset: Impact.
Stem: Kona Velocity.
Handlebar: Kona Slim.
Grips: Onza Porcipaws.
Barends: None.

Brakes: Kona Race Light.
Brake Pads: Kool Stop front/Aztec rear.
Brake Cables: Clarks.
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano.
Brake Levers: Kona High Command.

Shifters: Shimano Deore DX Thumbshift.
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX M563.
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX M560.
Derailleur Cables: Basic.
Cassette: Shimano ???
Chain: Sram PC-58.
Cranks: Sugino Impel 500.
Crank Bolts: Shimano.
Chainrings: 42/32/22 Sugina Super Shifter (42/22)/Shimano (32).
Chainring bolts: Pace.
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN51 113mm.
Pedals: VP.

Hub Skewers: Basic Shimano.
Rims: Bontrager BCX-1 Front/BCX-3 Rear.
Hubs: Kona Race Light Front/Shimano Deore LX M563 Rear.
Nipples: Unknown.
Spokes: Unknown.
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke Dart front/Panaracer Spike rear.
Tubes: Unknown.

Saddle: Flight Titanium.
Seatpost: Kalloy (Kona Light?)
Seatpost Binder: Kona Race Light.

Weight: Unknown.

The plan is to strip it, give it a good clean and then return it as near to original as I possibly can, maybe giving it a few upgrades along the way. I've got a Flight Titanium saddle in the shed to replace the Saracen one and all the red anodized parts will be removed.

Updates as soon as work starts!

Very neat :cool: Is that the one that went for somewhere midway between £100 and £150 BIN? ;)

Tempted myself but couldn't justify it - Good Buy for you :cool:

Mr Panda":2ef3575s said:
Very neat :cool: Is that the one that went for somewhere midway between £100 and £150 BIN? ;)

Tempted myself but couldn't justify it - Good Buy for you :cool:

It is indeed :) The money was burning a hole in my pocket!

I really wanted to find a 1997 Cinder Cone or Explosif as i've got loads of parts sitting in the shed from around that era waiting crying out to be put onto a frame! Still, this will give me something to do until I find one :)

The bike is now completely stripped and ready for cleaning. Removing the chainset and bottom bracket proved a little hard work as i don't think they've been off since it has left the factory!

I put the front mech in the ultrasonic cleaner we have at work and it's come up pretty well. I've also sourced an LX rear mech to match the front. I will try and get some pictures before the weekend.

Small update.

I finally got the frame cleaned and the headset serviced yesterday. Getting 15 years worth of dirt out of the headset took some time but i'm happy with the results.

As you can see, the frame has some marks but not too bad for a 15 year old, well used bike. A few pictures:

Picture093.jpg

Picture092.jpg

Picture088.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Picture096.jpg

I've sourced a few more parts to return it to as near to how it came out of the factory too.

Comments welcome :)

A Beauty :cool:, Looks good already and look forward to seeing it even better !

I have so much love for the '94 Kona's , so much so I regretted selling my Grey 94 Cindercone 2 years ago (owned from new) I had to get another which I will be leaving as is unless a pair of A: & B: Drive tyres show up :razz:

It came with a lot of red bling bolts on it, so i'm slowly replacing those. I've also been using an ultrasonic cleaner to get the muck off of the parts, time consuming but worth every minute!

I was originally after a 1997 Kona, so this may go up for sale once it's finished to fund another build.

Small update:

My Deore thumbshifters and Kona levers arrived, along with my new Onza grips so I got everything fitted. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures but you get the idea :)

Picture130.jpg

I also found a Flite Titanium saddle in the shed and fitted that:

Picture132.jpg

Thanks

Latest posts

Back