1991 Neglected PA Yeti Ultimate

Robellion

Dirt Disciple
Hi all- Sorry for not posting here first about this bike. Here is forum history:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Things are under way, I have sent pics to Frank the Welder and received a quote from him. I need proper decals before I have the frame sent off though and anyone have extensive knowledge on the seat post collar? Still waiting to hear from the original seller as to where the heck some missing parts may be. He also replaced every cable ferrule with regular purple ones and I may need those too-

I am guessing that the collar should be a measurement of around 30 mm,
as he had a Ringle 1 1/8" collar on that was too small- so it cracked over time and a 1 1/4" is too large.

Anyway-all input is welcome! thanks for putting up with all the scattered threads! Here are some pics of the problem area.
Eric

Attachments

• ultimate1.jpg
    ultimate1.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2,517
  • ultimate2.jpg
    ultimate2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,517
  • ultimate3.jpg
    ultimate3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 2,517
:shock: That abuse is almost criminal. Looks like someone got carried away with a large hammer & flat blade screwdriver to free a stuck seatpost.
Can't wait to see this restoration project progress.

Gil_M has Ultimate decals on file :D Good luck,I'm just putting the finishing touches to my own Ultimate,believe me it's worth it!

Well done for landing that! Looked like a good deal with the parts present, even if there is some screwdriver damge. My FRO was the same.
Cool you're taking it to FTW for the fix, thats cool.

On my Ultimate- there was what became known as the FTW fix. Asking the seller of my Ultimate about it (a former Yeti employee), I got this back " The seat coller modification brazed by F.T.W. himself is far better than original. We had to do this as the pre 93 steel frames had thin seat tubes and many started to crack. In 93 the tube sets were Tange and seat tubes externally butted."

I'll grab a pic and pop it up. May be worth asking FTW. Its a small reinforcing collar that was done at the factory on returned frames.

Seat-collar shoul dbe 31.8 IIRC, and early machines had what looked like a BMX collar in place, kinda 1/2 hex in profile. Again, I'll see if I can find a pic. . Bear with me. .

RIght- hopefully you should see below an Ultimate seat-tube with teh FTW mod, and for reference an original Yeti collar. I measure it at 29.3. . . so my mistake, not a straihjtforward size, but bearing more than a passing resemblance to BMX kit. .
DSC03646.jpg

DSC03647.jpg

DSC03648.jpg

DSC03649.jpg
;)

Nick, thank you for the pictures- I will indeed ask Frank if he will perform the factory mod he did back in the day. Looks good- plus, you say it will be 31.8 at the top of the collar after the mod eh? Would it be wrong to have the mod done like yours but without the braze-on? so I could utilize a 31.8 seat collar? Like a Ringle for instance with it's own lever? Thinking white myself for the final paint on the Yeti, and then some red stuff here and there. I believe the fix will be the whole seat tube by the way. Here are some pics of the stem as requested-

Attachments

• ftwstem1.jpg
    ftwstem1.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2,078
  • ftwstem2.jpg
    ftwstem2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,078
Nick- You have some ferrules for sale, are they for my Yeti? or did they just use standard braze-ons for that year? When I got the bike, all of the ferrules were aftermarket purple standard ones. They seemed kind of loose within the cable stops...... :?

Back