AH Sprite MG Midget Panels

andrewl

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have a nice selection of Austin Healy Sprite / MG Midget panels which came with the house I bought many years ago and are currently taking up bike space.

Parts include:

2 x RH front guards
1 x LH front guard
1 x RH sill (NOS panel imported from the UK in the early 90s by the previous owner of the house)
1 x Bonnet
1 x Boot lid
2 x Front grill panel assembly (for want of a better description of the section which goes between each front guard and holds the grill etc and the bonnet closes onto.

Open to offers and happy to send to a good home anywhere but that won't be cheap if you are outside Australia.

Shame you're over there, the shipping would be crippling. You can never have too many spare body panels :)

^^^ You got a Midget Russell?

Mine's currently in need of a good service and a wash but no body panels i'm afraid :roll:

Yup, YCF 641T :)

My bright yellow pocket rocket :) Used as my daily driver until I lost the crank shaft through the side of the engine.

Currently sat in my parents garage with the engine out awaiting the implant of a Rover K-Series and 5 speed box. I have the new engine already but time is currently not on my side unfortunately.

This summers project is the new engine, 'coil-over' suspension rebuild and disc brakes all round. Should give it about 120bhp, but with an all up weight of around 650kg its not powerful, but it will have a bit of poke :)

Russell":1mdaof3j said:
Yup, YCF 641T :)

My bright yellow pocket rocket :) Used as my daily driver until I lost the crank shaft through the side of the engine.

Currently sat in my parents garage with the engine out awaiting the implant of a Rover K-Series and 5 speed box. I have the new engine already but time is currently not on my side unfortunately.

This summers project is the new engine, 'coil-over' suspension rebuild and disc brakes all round. Should give it about 120bhp, but with an all up weight of around 650kg its not powerful, but it will have a bit of poke :)

Superb!
I drove mine almost everyday for 9 years but just bought an A4 for the commute.
I really should've gone for a K-Series when I got my Midget restored.
Chose Stage 2 kit for the rebuilt 1500 instead. Still got a 5 speed 'box though - Ford Type-9, works a treat!
Mine is also at my parents' house, awaiting a few wee things.
Can't wait to take it for a spin again :D

Cool.

I'll be running the Ford box in mine when I get round to doing it. The K-series conversion is pretty easy if you're not shy about using an angle grinder :) I got a complete Rover 214 for £350 so I've just cannibalised it for most of the parts I need.

The 1.4 K series in standard form puts out 105bhp. I'm hoping with a couple of minor mods I can get 120bhp out of it which is close to 60bhp more than the 1500 lump could manage. In a car that light it should get to 60 pretty rapidly.

With the 5spd box aswell it should make it a much nicer car to drive, more reliable and nippy enough to give the boy racers a shock off the lights :)

Did you fit the Ford box yourself? How was it?

No mate, mine was all done by Chic Doig Classic Sportscars in Fife.
I can only do basic maintenance but they did a great job with the resto/mods.

Are you removing the rubber bumpers? Easy way to shed a whole lotta weight and looks better too...

RIMG0056.jpg

RIMG0059.jpg

Apologies if you've already seen it in either of the other threads I posted the pics in :oops:

I've been informed that the 1500 with the larger SU carbs, racey cam, lightened flywheel, K&N custom manifold and exhaust kicks out a fair bit more than the standard 70-something.
Snapped a halfshaft in December pulling out from a junction a bit too sharpish - Chic Doig reckoned it was the stage-2 kit and the sticky Yokohamas that did it.

Yup, the bumpers are off! They weigh a tonne and also restrict airflow through the engine bay.

Loving the stripes on yours, thats a beauty!

Which front indicators are those? I've been toying with the idea of fitting round ones but that would mean making a blanking plate for the aperture in the wing a its rectuangular.

Snapping the halfshaft is quite a common problem with these modified Midgets. These people do some great kit, including uprated shafts.

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/frontline/rearsus.htm

They're handy for me as they're justdown the road.

Really good to see another nice midget :) I'll get some pics of mine up this weekend if I can.

I think the indicators are Sprite ones - I can't really remember :roll:

Remember to lower your Midg an inch if you've removed the bumpers - bring it back down to chrome-bumpered Midg height...

I've actually got one of these Frontline RTLs on mine:
RTL
Improved Traction
Controls Lateral Movement
Lower Roll Centre

Frontline's innovative Rear Traction Control Link is simple to install and gives greatly improved control and driving confidence
Design: The RTL was born out of a need for more control. The design brief was to produce an axle locator, with the following attributes:

simple installation
no spurious loadings
excellent lateral location
The results are stunning. In addition to the above, the roll centre at the rear of the car has been lowered and we have achieved zero lateral body-to-axle movement.
rtl.jpg

Recommended! Couldn't afford an uprated halfshaft though so went with standard again - hopefully it'll last another 3 years like the last one :!:

For rear number-plate lights i've got little Spitfire ones:

RIMG0062.jpg

I highly recommend stick-on number-plates, keep it smooooth :cool:

Russell":2eep1asb said:
Shame you're over there, the shipping would be crippling. You can never have too many spare body panels :)

Hand luggage on your next holiday? ;)

Had thought about finding a Sprite to restore and hence make them useful, but there are a few other cars I'd rather own and work on instead.

Back