Does this retro hubset exist??

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
For a future project, I would like a pair of hubs with the following properties:

- 120mm rear, 100mm front OLN dimensions
- rear internal hub gear, 3 or 4 should be fine
- hub brakes, F and R
- front dynamo
- >30 years old, to go on a ~'74 frame

listed in order of priority.

I don't know enough about the Sturmey range of that period let alone the alternatives!

Incidentally, if anybody has anything suitable then I'd be very interested in buying them. If they're laced onto a pair of 27" or 700C high pressure rims then that's even better!

Cheers, Gareth.

When you say hub brake, are you thinking drum???

I know SA made a front hub with a dynamo/drum combo, but it's modern. You should easily be able to find a coaster brake rear that is three speed, but I wouldn't leave all my faith to a coaster.

Look into tandem hubs, but you may have to change the spacing.

Just out of curiosity, is your frame not set up for standard brakes, or are you just trying to keep all clean and tidy?

I guess I should have been clearer - I do indeed mean drum brakes. Also the frame and fork are drilled for calipers but I fancied trying for the clean look. If it proves tricky then I'll just throw a pair of centre-pulls on.

From looking around it seems that only recently have Sturmey introduced drum/dynamo front hubs. The dynamo is the least of my concerns though. Rear drum/gear units should be less of an issue. I saw one in very good condition on ebay recently but it was from a small-wheel bike - either 16" or 20" - and I wasn't sure how the braking capability would scale up to a 27" wheel. Also the OLN was 110mm and it looked as though the axle was a tad short to space out to 120mm.

Buying a modern hubset is not out of the question either, and I gather the newer Sun Race/Sturmey product are very high quality.

Cheers, Gareth.

garethrl":2mwwhat5 said:
Buying a modern hubset is not out of the question either, and I gather the newer Sun Race/Sturmey product are very high quality.

Cheers, Gareth.

well, from a mechanic who works in a bike shop in Paris, I am afraid to say he mentionned modern sturmey were not at all what it used to be so I would be wary of them.

I actually read also that in the nineties, quality of Sturmey went down too. as the company got into financial trouble.

According to this mechanic, the 3 gear ones buit until beginning of eighties if in good condition are not indestructible but close. ;)
5 speed one are not widespread at all, were mounted on moulton but apparently discontinued so not a very good sign.

Nexus / Shimano would probably a better choice today, unfortunately, they surely do not look OK on a retroframe :cry:

The old Sturmeys were lubricated with oil, via a port in the hub and would last for decades. Then people lost that skill (oiling) and they went to grease and needed to be packed occasionally. Apparently at that time the quality started to go.

So I think they are available, but you really need a donor bike from the dump or a bike jumble.

Resurrecting this one as I've started looking for hubs/wheels again.

According to Sheldon Brown, the current Taiwanese range is as good as the old British stuff and better than the last Brit productions. It's true that the first Taiwanese stuff was a bit rubbish but apparently they've invested heavily since and the products are good. More here, at the end of the page:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html

Anyways, I'm in the market for a hubset or wheelset. I'll compromise on the dynamo and age to expand my options, I think.

Cheers, Gareth.

any S/A 3 speed hub can be fitted with a longer 6 1/4 axle to enable spacing from 113mm (standard) to 120mm

Just make sure you use the longer (no2) toggle chain

Sram made a nice Torpedo drum brake 3 or 5 speed rear hub that would suit. The Shimano AB rear drum brakes were crap :-(

Have you considered the 4 speed Shimano Nexus hub with Roller brake?

Andy

Back