Vintage Dunelt lightweight (1959?)

Dunelt 10 speed.

Hello,
I bought the Dunelt 10 speed frame recently listed on ebay. :D Found this thread and would like to get your input. What headset and bottom bracket do you have/recommend? My plans are to build it as it was when new. Not sure of serial number but will list it when I get the frame. By the way, I currently own numerous vintage bikes, Bob Jackson, Claud Butler, Witcomb, etc. and the last thing I needed was another but my wife has a Dunelt womens 3 speed that she has owned since new so I could not turn down the opportunity to have a matched set.
Rob

Welcome to our little Dunelt 10 speed club! Congrats to a nice frame. My headset is Campagnolo and I think that the BB is Campagnolo too, I'll check this evning and get back to you.

Vintage Dunelt lightweight frame

Jonas, stugotz and oneohsix,

I too have a 50's / 60's vintage lightweight Dunelt frame that I am going to build up. I got it on ebay about two years ago, and I have been accumulating period correct parts for it.

Jonas, thank you very much for your pictures. They are very helpful is ascertaining what parts are correct. I'll post pictures of the frame soon.

Jim
Dallas, Texas

Glad my pictures could help! I acctually sold my Dunelt a few months ago to a collector. Still keep my eye on this thread tough, interesting bikes.

Re:

Sorry to bring this old thread back to life

Back in July 2012 i answered ad in local paper , somebody was asking for offers on a 24" gents 10 speed tourer , expecting to be told it was a modern day bso , i was amazed to be told it was a mid 1950's Dunelt gents racer , so agreed to go round later .

came away with a 1 owner from new complete bike in a ride able state , that original owner tells me is 531 tubing under neath a layer of hand applied paint.

After using it for a few weeks as my daily commuter i decided to strip it and have it powdercoated and then sell it on which i did to fund another project . Well last week it was advertised on e bay so i bought it back for a lot less than i sold it for .

Build has started last week by offering up some parts to it and all seemed good , my intention is to run it as either a 6 or 7 speed winter bike

Attachments

• dun.jpg
    dun.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_20170829_132420161.jpg
    IMG_20170829_132420161.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 367
Re:

Dunelt became a Phillips badge engineered make, useful because they had a few export markets. They were not known for quality lightweights.
It occurred to me that Dave Duffield was at Armstrong (part of Phillips) in the mid 50s and had Bill Gameson building specified top class frames, some of which could have been badged Dunelt.
Just a theory.

Keith

Latest posts

Back