Real Ale Wobble 2009...the Aftermath!

An experiment for you:

Close your eyes. Can you still see the outline of a radioactive bike?!

daj":2etaoyj0 said:
Bloody hell Rob... Sounds like you have had a nightmare weekend :shock:

Hope it hasnt put you off for next year though :D

Nah not a chance, I'm so sorry I missed it this year, I may do both days next year to make up!

JeRkY":uei9p7nf said:
Nah not a chance, I'm so sorry I missed it this year, I may do both days next year to make up!

So with wet gear, tired legs, lack of sleep and a hangover to rival Mikes this year? Yep, that Sunday ride sounds like a much better idea than a pub lunch. :LOL:

jeeze! I'm going to Pickle's ramble on Saturday - I doubt the Lincolnshire countryside could threaten us too much.

ford diesels are funny things - mine got flooded and started again with a load of smoke and carried on for another 150,000 miles with a slightly bent something that we could never work out.

that looked epic though. Gotta get out more!

river_downhilling_173.jpg

washing_bikes_welsh_style_714.jpg

that looked epic though. Gotta get out more

Compared to last year the river/stream crossing was a little more "Holy sh@t I dont want to get that wrong!!!" :shock: :shock:

Fully recovered now :D If i'm going do it again next year, which I want to, i'm going to need to do more than about 100 miles total in the 3 months leading up to it. Hangovers are a great excuse for being a fat, unfit, singlespeed wannabe :roll:
Anybody wanna buy a bike, hangs head in shame and dusts of the turbo trainer :? :cool:

Well, I made it and would definitely do it again.

The first half hour of climbing was a nightmare and I was thinking ‘what have I done’ but once I’d figured out that I should be using gears I never even knew existed it was a bit easier. Did the sensible thing (for once) and opted for the short course; I’m guessing you lot are hardcore went the long way round. ;) I did see something on the long route that looked little more than a 50ft mud slide into the forest?!

Seeing as I’d left ALL my clothes back home (cretin…) and Tesco had nothing in the way of suitable waterproofs I had to make do with a nylon zip-up affair thinking at least it would dry quickly. Ha! Like it had chance! And I didn’t have any gloves either. So being soaked to the skin (although I didn’t really notice til the last hour when it started getting cold) was my main complaint.

Loved the downhill bits and didn’t come off which was a bonus. I was quite pleased with myself, my old Raleigh came up trumps and didn’t give me any grief and the general consensus seemed to be I’d done alright for my first MTB.

Pity I didn’t catch any of you Sat night though – would have been good to put faces to made-up-names! Wierd thing is, I managed to unravel jonnyboy’s FB link (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 4592df35b0 – nice pics by the way) and I think I was probably right next to you at the start!? Grannygrinder even looks a bit like the bloke that took my ‘before’ photo?? But that'd be too much of a coincidence surely...

Attachments

• DSCF6392a.JPG
    DSCF6392a.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,407
great - glad it worked out in the end :D

Must admit although we all had Retrobike type t-shirts on on the Friday night, Sat night we were in camouflage and probably indistinguishable from the rest of the hoy-paloy.

We were in the Stonecroft from about 2pm through till about half past midnight, occasionally popping out to the marquee to see the band.

Back